Cannot Start ICF

S

Steve Lee

Whenever I try to start the Internet Connection Firewall, I get the
following error message:
An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.
The dependency service or groups failed to start

I already went into Control Panel->Admin Tools->Services and tried to
start Internet Connection Sharing manually, but I get the following
error message:
Could not start Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)/Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Can someone please guess as to what services which are needed by
ICF/ICS should be running in order for me to be able to correctly run
ICF/ICS? TIA.

Reaction score
Dependencies:
Application Layer Gateway Service,
Network Connections,
Network Location Awareness,
Remote Access Connection Manager

i have the same problem. i cant get the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service to start, and those dependencies i listed are all working for me too.

Reaction score
Possible Solution

I searched many forums for a solution, eventually I had to make up my own ^^
My problem was with ICS, but they both rely on the same thing, the Application Layer Gateway, which wouldn't start for me. Anywho, after inspecting many settings in Start>>Run>>services.msc>>Application Layer Gateway Service I found the solution. Turns out (in my opinion at least) that it's a problem with the service not being able to start under it's default user account.

The solution:

Goto the "Log On" tab in the properties of Application Layer Gateway Service. The default setting under "Log on as:" is "This Account:" which is pointing to the administrator account presumably.
Select the "Local System account" option instead, and check the box labeled "Allow service to interact with desktop."

This solved my problems, hope it helps with yours.

Reaction score
Or you could not do what the above bonehead suggests, and avoid endangering your own workstation.

fewofmany said:
This solved my problems, hope it helps with yours.
- Actually your problems stem from imbecility, and there's no hope of a solution for that.

As for the original question, the problem is probably with the winsock-related entries in the registry, which have been corrupted by malware. Also, you will want to flush your dns resource cache.

Ask a Question