Cannot setup home network on new PC

Setting up a Sony VAIO with preloaded XP. Already have two other eMachines
PC's with XP networked together and sharing files.
New system appears to set up network, but when I look at My Network Places,
the
other machines do not show up.
HOWEVER, if I boot in safe mode and login as administrator, the other PC's
show up
on the map. Very strange. Help, please

Gary Fose [MSFT]

The booting into Safe Mode indicates that ther eis something loading in normal mode that is
cuasing your issue. Most manufacturers install a lot of third party programs which some can
cause some networking issues.

1. Check to make sure that the workgroup name on the new machine is EXACTLY the same
as on the others (it is case sensative).

2. Make sure your network adapter settings are EXACTLY the same as the other machines
(except for the host name, IP and mac).

3. Run msconfig and disable all third party services and disable all startup items from loading.
Reboot. If the issue goes away, then through a process of elimination determine what was
disabled that cuased the machine to not show up.

HTH,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlzUENVc2Vy?= <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Cannot setup home network on new PC
'--'Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:53:03 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
'--'
'--'Setting up a Sony VAIO with preloaded XP. Already have two other eMachines
'--'PC's with XP networked together and sharing files.
'--'New system appears to set up network, but when I look at My Network Places,
'--'the
'--'other machines do not show up.
'--'HOWEVER, if I boot in safe mode and login as administrator, the other PC's
'--'show up
'--'on the map. Very strange. Help, please
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.