cannot send or receive emails

tam

Yesterday, all of a sudden I couldn't send emails. Now today I can't send or
receive emails. I called my internet service, they walked me thru my settings
and say they are fine. What should I do next?

tam

this may be a dumb question..do you need outlook express on the computer to
run windows mail?

Gary VanderMolen

No, Windows Mail is a complete replacement for Outlook Express.

You need to do more than just telling us you can't send or receive.
Do you get an error message when you try to send or receive? If so, right-click
on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply here.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"tam" wrote in message
this may be a dumb question..do you need outlook express on the computer to
run windows mail?

tam

the error message is at the end of my first post

"tam" wrote in message
this may be a dumb question..do you need outlook express on the computer to
run windows mail?

.

tam

here is the recent error

:

inactivity. Account: 'pop.suddenlink.net', Server: 'pop.suddenlink.net',
Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

thanks!

...winston

Ensure SSL is not enabled for Port 110 on your incoming server(look on the email account's Properties ‘Advanced’ tab

http://mysuddenlinkbusiness.com/pdf/faq_emailsetupvista.pdf

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"tam" wrote in message

here is the recent error

:

inactivity. Account: 'pop.suddenlink.net', Server: 'pop.suddenlink.net',
Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

thanks!

tam

what number should it be? PORT ?

...winston said:
Ensure SSL is not enabled for Port 110 on your incoming server(look on the email account's Properties ‘Advanced’ tab

http://mysuddenlinkbusiness.com/pdf/faq_emailsetupvista.pdf

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"tam" wrote in message
here is the recent error

:

inactivity. Account: 'pop.suddenlink.net', Server: 'pop.suddenlink.net',
Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

thanks!

tam

I took the 110 off PORT and clicked default, 995 came up and I still get an
error

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.suddenlink.net',
Server: 'pop.suddenlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Gary VanderMolen

Port 110, no SSL, which is the default.
The link winston gave you does not specify advanced ports or features, so
why are you attempting to use them?

"tam" wrote in message
what number should it be? PORT ?

...winston

Leave it set to 110.
Ensure 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is not checked

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"tam" wrote in message
I took the 110 off PORT and clicked default, 995 came up and I still get an
error

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.suddenlink.net',
Server: 'pop.suddenlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

...winston

The earlier error message....

<qp>
Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): Yes
</qp>

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote in message
Port 110, no SSL, which is the default.
The link winston gave you does not specify advanced ports or features, so
why are you attempting to use them?

tam

When I spoke with my internet tech people, I was told to have both the
incoming and outgoing SSL checked. I took them off and here is the error
message

Account: 'pop.suddenlink.net', Server: 'pop.suddenlink.net', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR An authentication mechanism MUST be entered', Port:
110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

tam

Oh, I was not having this problem until I downloaded the last Windows update.
Do you think that may be causing the probem?

Gary VanderMolen

Good to hear it is working.
However, the last error message you posted may indicate that you need to
check the following setting:

Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Servers.
Enable the "My server requires authentication" option.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"tam" wrote in message
It is working! I clicked off the SSL on the incoming and outgoing.

Thanks!

tam

Should the, my server requires authentication, be checked on both the
outgoing and incoming?

Gary VanderMolen

Windows Mail does not have an equivalent setting for receiving. What is the exact
name of the setting you are asking about?