cannot find jewel case with PID!

newxpuser

I cannot find my jewel case with for my XP upgrade with
the PID on the back. I placed the disk in my old word
2000 case and now I'm stuck. I cannot get the information
from my computer either by going to start - help start -
and then to computer info, that's not working. Is there
any other way to install without having to purchase this
upgrade again? Does anyone know who can help me get those
numbers?

Donald McDaniel

newxpuser said:
I cannot find my jewel case with for my XP upgrade with
the PID on the back. I placed the disk in my old word
2000 case and now I'm stuck. I cannot get the information
from my computer either by going to start - help start -
and then to computer info, that's not working. Is there
any other way to install without having to purchase this
upgrade again? Does anyone know who can help me get those
numbers?

1) The "PID" is not the 25 character alpha-numeric string which is found on
the Installation CD jewel case (or on the COA sticker if it is OEM). The
"PID' (Product ID) is created by Windows when you install Windows. It is
created using your Product Key and other information.
2) The 25 character alpha-numeric string is the "Product Key" (or "CD KEY".)
3) IF you have not reformatted your HD yet, and IF your XP was not installed
at the factory of a large system builder using an image of a HD, you MAY be
able to recover both the PID and the Product Key by using one of the several
tools available on the Internet. I use AIDA32 Enterprise Edition. It is
free, and will show you all kinds of things about your machine, in addition
to recovering your XP CD Key (maybe).

Get AIDA32 Enterprise Edition here:
http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

Don't forget to get the Enterprise Edition.

Richard Urban

The install key is not on a jewel case, so you will never find it there. It
is on the cardboard sleeve that holds the Windows XP CD.

--
Regards

Richard Urban
aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

*****************************

John Ski

Subject: Re: cannot find jewel case with PID!
From: "Richard Urban" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 1/7/2004 3:24 PM Eastern Standard Time

The install key is not on a jewel case, so you will never find it there. It
is on the cardboard sleeve that holds the Windows XP CD.

--
Regards

Richard Urban
aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

*****************************
1. Don't know where you got your XP, but the Product Key is on the back of the
jewel case mine came in.

2. Download Aida32 from www.aida32.hu or KeyFinder from
www.magicaljellybean.com. Either will display the Product Key used to install
your XP and Office(BTW).

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Richard Urban

Bought mine the day it was released. Cardboard sleeve. No case.

--
Regards

Richard Urban
aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

*****************************

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the card-board CD packaging on a bright
orange sticker that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM
(factory installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC
manufacturer affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom
of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use AIDA32
Enterprise from http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php to find the Product
Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the drive
image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product Key;
therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be --
used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
OS; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
new license.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

What edition of WinXP do you have, and where did you buy it? I
ask only out of curiosity, as every copy I've seen came in a
card-board folder/sleeve - not a plastic jewel case.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

Daniel L. Belton

Richard said:
The install key is not on a jewel case, so you will never find it there. It
is on the cardboard sleeve that holds the Windows XP CD.

and what if Windows XP came in a jewel case instead of a cardboard
sleeve? :)

Donald McDaniel

Bruce said:
Greetings --

What edition of WinXP do you have, and where did you buy it? I
ask only out of curiosity, as every copy I've seen came in a
card-board folder/sleeve - not a plastic jewel case.

Bruce Chambers

Many users, I am sure, take their CD out of the paper container and put it
in a jewel case after installing XP (I did so with every version of Windows
I have purchased). Some, who purchased OEM versions, take their OEM COA and
put it on the jewel case, while others write the CD key on the jewel case,
and throw the paper container containing their CD key away. Some even make
fancy CD liners using special software, and put their CD keys on them.

Some people, I guess, lose this jewel case. In fact, it appears that many
do, since I have seen many postings from those who have.

Richard Urban

The many posters you have seen this from, never had the install key to begin
with. It just a con they use. After all, every program that you purchase
comes with a jeweled case, doesn't it? WRONG!

Hell man! Wouldn't YOU know if YOU did this. Would you then be dumb enough
to say you lost the jeweled case?

--
Regards

Richard Urban
aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

*****************************

Steve C. Ray

I'm not saying that XP never came in a jewel case, but I sure have never
seen one. Every retail version that I have ever seen comes in a blue and
orange tri-fold cardboard folder, and OEM comes in a cellophane packet.

Daniel L. Belton

Steve said:
I'm not saying that XP never came in a jewel case, but I sure have never
seen one. Every retail version that I have ever seen comes in a blue and
orange tri-fold cardboard folder, and OEM comes in a cellophane packet.

I have an OEM version from E-Machines that came in a jewel case, but my
retail pro version came in the cardboard sleeve.

John Ski

From: "Bruce Chambers" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 1/7/2004 7:04 PM Eastern Standard Time

Greetings --

What edition of WinXP do you have, and where did you buy it? I
ask only out of curiosity, as every copy I've seen came in a
card-board folder/sleeve - not a plastic jewel case.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH
Bruce,
My copy of XP Pro came directly from Microsoft as a result of attending the
rollout seminar in Dearborn, MI, USA for the Tablet PC. It's in a traditional
jewel case with the PK on the orange sticker on the back.

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Gary Tait

I have an OEM version from E-Machines that came in a jewel case, but my
retail pro version came in the cardboard sleeve.

The jewel case is E-machine's choice though, not MS's.
My generic OEM came in a paperish envelope, I put it in a jewl case
for my convenience though.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Thanks for the info.