Cannot connect to W2K server as TS client

G

I have a SBS2000 server domain. In order to enable WAN connections, I have installed two W2K servers into this domain as TS servers in application mode. One TS server is a stand-alone member server; I have no problems with that one. The other one I have configured as a domain controller in this domain (so that I can use it as a TS license server). this server I have called "CQTS"

Now when I open Terminal Services Manager application, the SBS server and the stand-alone server appear in the list of available servers, but CQTS does not appear. This behavior repeats even when I open TS Manager from CQTS. Except for TS purposes, the servers see each other without any problem. In "Services" of CQTS, Terminal Services seems to be up and running. An RDP client computer can connect to both SBS server and the stand-alone server; however, when trying to connect to CQTS, it gives the error:

"The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try your connection again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator.

I can ping CQTS from other computers; when I try to open a telnet session to its port 3389, it says

"Could not open a connection to <CQTS-ip-address>

There are no errors placed in the system or application event logs of CQTS after unsuccessful connection attempts

Any ideas or helpful tips? :-

V

Vera Noest [MVP]

When you start TS Administration on the CQTS, do you see a listener
session? Does it have the status "down"? If so, check if this helps:

312030 - Cannot Connect to a Windows 2000-Based Computer with
Terminal Services Installed and RDP Listener Is "Down"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312030

G

Thanks for the help.

We have found out that there were no profiles associated with the RDP. So although the Services screen showed the Terminal Services status as "Automatic", the service did not start up, and nothing was written into the event logs. Once a profile association was completed, the system started working flawlessly.

Ask a Question