Cannot Connect to printer

Scott Townsend

When I try to Connect to a Shared Printer I get the Message:
Windows Cannot connect to the printer. Operation Could not be Completed
(error 0x000003eb)

OS: WinVista x86 Business Ed
User: Domain Admin User Account
Printer: HP 4250
Print Server: Win2003, with x86 and x64 4250 PCL 6 Drivers.

The Printer with several others is Pushed down to the Client via GPO.
Others install just fine. I get the Error Above if I manually install the
printer.

I've Tried the Add Printer, Local Port \\server\share, and it yields the
same Error as above.

I've Specified new Driver Media with Same Result.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

E:\>winerror 0x000003eb
1003 ERROR_CAN_NOT_COMPLETE <--> No NTSTATUS matched

Can you add the Local Port solution but use the HP drivers for the printer
provided with Vista? Use the PCL 5 driver unless you know the device
supports PS.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your post as well as to Alan for the information sharing.

I have done some research and I found that the latest version of HP
Universal Print Driver for Windows - PCL6 driver was just released two
weeks ago. So please make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest
version of the driver.

You could download this driver from the below link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lan
g=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=503548&prodNameId=3271558&swEnvOID=
2093&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ja-45284-8

I have done some tests in my lab environment. The shared printer from
Windows Server 2003 Printer Server could be added to Vista machine
correctly. Also I could locally install the printer on Vista machine.

To narrow down the issue, please help answer the following questions before
we go further:

1. Does the issue occur on other Vista machines?

2. Could the printer be added correctly to Vista machine if you use
\\printerserverIP\printer instead of \\printerserverName\printer ?

3. Please try to delete the pre-installed PCL 6 driver on Vista machine and
download and install the driver again from the above HP link. After that
please try to install the printer locally.
(Add printer -> Add a local printer -> Use an existing port -> Select the
printer driver of HP Universal Printing PCL 6 and then finish the
installation.)
And then, please check whether the printer could be correctly installed
locally and let me know the result.

Thanks again for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. : )

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "Scott Townsend" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Cannot Connect to printer
| Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:40:56 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
|
| When I try to Connect to a Shared Printer I get the Message:
| Windows Cannot connect to the printer. Operation Could not be Completed
| (error 0x000003eb)
|
| OS: WinVista x86 Business Ed
| User: Domain Admin User Account
| Printer: HP 4250
| Print Server: Win2003, with x86 and x64 4250 PCL 6 Drivers.
|
| The Printer with several others is Pushed down to the Client via GPO.
| Others install just fine. I get the Error Above if I manually install
the
| printer.
|
| I've Tried the Add Printer, Local Port \\server\share, and it yields the
| same Error as above.
|
| I've Specified new Driver Media with Same Result.
|
| Any Suggestions?
|
| Thanks.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

I'm wondering if the suggestion has helped or if you have any further
questions.

Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if I can assist further.

Thanks.