Cannot access other computers on network

John

I am unable to access the 2 other computers on my home office network. Whenever I click the "Computers Near Me" icon, I get the
following error msg: "Workgroup not accessible. The list of servers for this workgroup not currently available." I have tried the
Network Identification Wizard - no luck.

Specifics:

I never had a problem until I installed PC Cillin's Internet Security and I get the same error even after I disable PC Cillin. (I
tried finding a solution via their tech support - no luck)

I have a peer to peer network - 2 machines run W2K, 1 running Win98 (a W2K machine is having the networking problems)

Neither of the other 2 computers can access the main computer but they can access each other.

All 3 machines have the same network name

I have both "File sharing..." and "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" checked in the LAN Properties

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
John

For direct replies remove "YOUR SHOES"

jedec

Try to ping computers (check if they are on the same subnet).
Then try nbtstat -n on each computer to see which network names it has
registered (on master browser).
At last use browstat utility (browstat view 1) on each computer to see
browser list.

regards

John said:
I am unable to access the 2 other computers on my home office network.
Whenever I click the "Computers Near Me" icon, I get the
following error msg: "Workgroup not accessible. The list of servers for
this workgroup not currently available." I have tried the
Network Identification Wizard - no luck.

Specifics:

I never had a problem until I installed PC Cillin's Internet Security and
I get the same error even after I disable PC Cillin. (I
tried finding a solution via their tech support - no luck)

I have a peer to peer network - 2 machines run W2K, 1 running Win98 (a W2K
machine is having the networking problems)

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Not familiar with PC Cillin's Internet Security. However, it sounds like
this is your problem. Personal firewalls frequently block NetBIOS
communication by default; so you need to find out how to modify this
behavior. Search Managing Personal Firewall Profiles on TrendMicro's help
site. Personal Firewalls are also notorious for not being easily
'disabled'. Try uninstalling the firewall altogether.

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

John said:
I am unable to access the 2 other computers on my home office network.
Whenever I click the "Computers Near Me" icon, I get the
following error msg: "Workgroup not accessible. The list of servers for
this workgroup not currently available." I have tried the
Network Identification Wizard - no luck.

Specifics:

I never had a problem until I installed PC Cillin's Internet Security and
I get the same error even after I disable PC Cillin. (I
tried finding a solution via their tech support - no luck)

I have a peer to peer network - 2 machines run W2K, 1 running Win98 (a W2K
machine is having the networking problems)

John

Doug,

I agree with what you say as I have had issues in the past with Norton firewalls. However, this time the problem persists even when
I disable the firewall and even when I completely shut down PC Cillin. Someone else in this newsgroup suggested I "ping" the IP
address but I am unfamiliar with that procedure. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Sergio Moreno

Hello,

You may want to uninstall the Firewall software (PC Cillin) for testing purposes. Firewall software can block broadcast traffic in their default configuration and
their effect is not totally removed until the it is uninstalled.
If the problem goes away after you unstall the Firewall software, then you may want to contact the firewall software manufacturer for help about opening the
following ports:

UDP port 137 (name services)

UDP port 138 (datagram services)

TCP port 139 (session services)
TCP and UDP port 445 for Direct hosting
From: "John" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Subject: Cannot access other computers on network

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.