Can You Spare the Birds One Hour?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's for the Great Garden Birdwatch organised each year by the RSPB and it takes place on 26th/27th so still time to watch the birdies tomorrow ;) It only takes one hour of your time :thumb:

All you need to do is watch your garden or local park on either Saturday 26 or Sunday 27 January 2008.

Simply spend an hour counting the birds, recording the highest number of each species seen in your garden (not flying over) at any one time.

Here's how to participate: http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/takepart/

:D

Reaction score
OK, I will check to see how my clay pigeons are doing.

Very hardy bunch they are too.
nod.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well at least you're aiming at the clay variety :rolleyes: two plump wood pigeons like to visit our bird tables, they look huge amongst the smaller birds, but we can't help but feel fond of them. Great-tits began to "shout" quite early this morning, and somewhere nearby, a car alarm kept going off at quarter-hour intervals, so .... yawn ... still feeling a tad slee...ZZzzzzz

:lol:

Reaction score
Cats

My parents have to keep their 2 cats imside if they want to see birds in the garden.
Seems that the younger one is a great lap warmer, but once outside becomes a stone cold killer of anything that moves.
Birds, shrews, mice, you name it 'little tinkies' has killed it!!!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:lol: ... Our four are far too lazy and prefer to do their bird-watching from the window. We've seen them almost nose-to-beak with the resident feisty robins before now, with just a window-pane between, just gazing wonderously at each other.

The neighbouring cats who like to visit the garden are usually kept in check by the magpie family. We have on many occasions watched an unsuspecting cat taking a drink from the birds' water bowl, whilst two naughty magpies take turns to tweak the poor cat's tail with their strong beaks. They seem to be quite fearless of the local moggies :lol: who usually bolt for the shrubbery with eyes like saucers. I'm happy to say that we don't get many feathered casualties.... unless one of the hawks happens to drop by for a quick snack ... beautiful birds, but I always find that aspect a bit upsetting.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I ain't got no garden, but I printed off a few copies of the tick-sheets last week. Gave two to me sister, must remind her sometime today. :thumb:

As for cats, I will never go out of my way for one, sorry, not a cat person, but I would never intentionally hurt one.

If you are worried that your "pet" cat is a killer, then just do this one simple thing ...

... there is much that owners can do to counter their pet's predatory instincts. The Feline Advisory Bureau and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, not obvious bedfellows, have united in endorsing quick-release cat collars mounted with bells as one of the best ways of reducing wildlife kill rates. In tests, cats wearing these collars killed 41% fewer birds and 34% fewer mammals than those with a plain collar.
I suggest a cow bell to be more appropriate. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/wildbritain/gardenwildlife/myspace/content.shtml?41

user.gif

Ask a Question