Can Word 2007 and Word 2002 co-exist on same computer

R

Richard in AZ

I am looking at Word 2007 as a consultant, but I would like to keep Word 2002 on the same computer
as my default Word Processor. However, every time I start Word 2007 it re-sets itself up and
becomes the default program for opening DOC files.
I can restart Word 2002 and then it sets itself up as the default and Word 2007 goes through the
setup again the next time I look at it.

Can a setting be made that will let both programs work independently?

R

Richard in AZ

Thank you Graham. That registry fix solved the reconfiguration problem, but now every time I
select a Word File it opens in Word 2007 and I would rather they open in Word 2002 unless I first
open Word 2007. I can live with this, but I would be open to suggestions on changing the file
association. I cannot seem to get it to change in the Folder Options.

G

Graham Mayor

Word always reclaims its registry settings - hence the hack. Remove the
registry hack that the page shows you how to apply, or set its value to 0.
Run Word 2002 so that it reconfigures to be the default application. Apply
the registry hack to the same key in Office 12.0 (so that Word 2007 does not
steal the registry settings) and set its value to 1.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

R

Richard in AZ

Thanks, that seems to have done the job.
I teach a Word Processor SIG (Special Interest Group) at our local computer club.
Most of the members are using Word 97 through 2003 so that if the version we use in the SIG.
I expect to learn the 2007 version, but need my computer to start at the SIG in 2003.

R

Richard in AZ

Thanks, that seems to have done the job.
I teach a Word Processor SIG (Special Interest Group) at our local computer club.
Most of the members are using Word 97 through 2003 so that if the version we use in the SIG.
I expect to learn the 2007 version, but need my computer to start at the SIG

Ask a Question