Can this be salvaged? hp7770

Reaction score
Hi I have an old HP PC lying about and I was wondering what could be salvaged from it when upgrading it and what would be required?

Chip: AMD Duron 800 MHz
Chipset: Via KT 133
RAM: 64MB SD RAM
Graphics: Nvidia TNT-2 Vanta AGP
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128

Full Specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...EN&dlc=en&product=61575&docname=bph06286#N377

The upgraded PC would be used as a networked PC for music production. At the moment the biggest problem is the fan noise. I would also like to upgrade the CPU to at least a 2.2Ghz or equivalent AMD. Would I need a new Mobo for this?

Sound and graphics are not an issue as this would just be a processing PC. The graphics card would be capable for my needs and sound not required atall.

Any help / tips on this are much appreciated as I have not done anything like this before.

Thanks

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
theres not much you can salvage from that, you'd be looking at pretty much buying a new system

the only bits that may be worth keeping would be the soundcard, disc drives (optical, maybe the HD depending on size and speed) and the case (not including the PSU)

Reaction score
Thanks Me__2001

I guessed this could be the case, looks like time for a bit of bargain hunting..

Reaction score
Hmm before you do just check to see if there is a BIOS update available for your board. If there is then it could well allow the upgrading of a CPU by a significant amount.

Reaction score
"The upgraded PC would be used as a networked PC for music production"

"Sound and graphics are not an issue as this would just be a processing PC"

sorry, just made me chuckle ;)

Reaction score
:) Can see how it could look funny Techy!

Just checking this after a bit of reading (not managed to check the BIOS issue yet):

If I kept the drives and hard disk and changed the mobo I would need? :

- New Mobo
- New Chip
- New PSU
- New RAM

Is there anything I have missed there atall?

Thanks

Reaction score
New PSU?

This all depends on what your going to put in there in the first place I suppose!

If your not using it for any massive reason BUT Editing then I guess normal 300/350 would do. However before you think about buying a PSU alone check what you can get for the same price in its entirety first. ie Case including a PSU.
Althought not the best some cases are amazing value for money. However, and I have said this before, you do get what you pay for!

Be aware tho that if you go for a lower CPU compared to todays higher ended ones (and what your M/B will take after BIOS update) Video editing can be a long labourous job. I know, I do quite a lot. Sometimes my system takes its time deciding what it wants to do.

Get the fastest Hardrive you can that will help. I'd recommend the Raptors by Seagate however they are quite expensive compared to other drives due to their 10k RPM rotation speeds. Some go as high as 15k RPM.

Anyway i'm sure you will make the right choices eventually, and if your stuck well we here aint we ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Keep the HP as it is ... buy a new system.

;)

Ask a Question