Can see HD, can not see data??!!

Reaction score
Hey,

I've got an external caddy, i've got the hard drive fitted, windows sees it as the full 200Gb drive.

However, there's a windows folder on it but nothing else. How come I can't see all the folders which were on the drive?? My mate is desperate to get his MP3 folder off the drive which he said was about 12Gb.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bodhi

Reaction score
Are you sure it aint been deleted?

Try File Scavenger. I found it good and very easy to use :D

Reaction score
Hey,

The more I talk to my friend the more he tells me!! lol.

Turns out he tried to reinstall Windows XP so I guess he formatted the hard drive while he did that.

I'm running a recovery on it now, but not finding anything. Is File Scavenger or Recuva the same thing?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Bodhi

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Hey,

The more I talk to my friend the more he tells me!! lol.

Turns out he tried to reinstall Windows XP so I guess he formatted the hard drive while he did that.

I'm running a recovery on it now, but not finding anything. Is File Scavenger or Recuva the same thing?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Bodhi

I've only ever used Recuva....The drive I used it on had been wiped clean yet I still recovered all the music on it...It does a pretty indepth scan...
I have just downloaded File Scaenger now and i'm running it on another drive...To me it would seem you have a better choice of what to search for with FS...I'll run both on the same drive and let ou know which is better..I'd say try both though, you have nothing to loose..

Reaction score
I've used Easy Recovery Professional and it didn't find anything. But tomorrow i'll try Recova and File Scavenger, as you say, nothing to lose so may as well run them all. I would assume if he's just tried to reinstall windows then the data should be recoverable. Fingers crossed!!

Reaction score
I just ranboth on a USB drive that hadbeen formatted and both pulled up quite a bit of stuff..File Scavenger doesn't do as deep a scan, but you get a wider choice of extentions to search for..

Reaction score
Great, thanks Madxgraphics, I'll try recova first then and see what it picks up, this is a 200Gb hard drive that's been formatted by a windows installation. Will let you know how I get on.

Reaction score
Right, here's the update!!

Recova was weird, it went through the drive for ages and then just sort of stopped, it went back to the start screen! Very confusing!

File Scavenger found loads of files including MP3s, but then you have to pay for a license before you can recover them!!

This is a NIGHTMARE!!

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Right, here's the update!!

Recova was weird, it went through the drive for ages and then just sort of stopped, it went back to the start screen! Very confusing!

File Scavenger found loads of files including MP3s, but then you have to pay for a license before you can recover them!!

This is a NIGHTMARE!!

OK confusing on Recuva...
Where did you download File S from..Te one I have is shareware...I'll find the link I downloaded from and post it.

Edit...Here's the link I downloaded from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/filescavenger.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats the programme i'm using, but i think you need to pay to recover stuff on file scavenger.

Recova just didn't really work!

Ask a Question