Can See but can't communicate except in one direction

G

I have a simple setup. Desktop, two laptops (win xp pro on all systems)
Wired cable modem to d-link wireless hub, from the desktop, I can see and communicate with one of the laptops, can see but cannot communicate with the other laptop. I can communicate between the laptops, but cannot communicate to the desktop with either laptop.

Have wireless TIVO hooked up and can play music or display photoes from all 3 units with no problems.

Cannot ping desktop from the laptops, but can ping both laptops from desktop.

I cannot find an answer to my problem which is: I want all the units to be able to communicate with the others.

C

Chuck

I have a simple setup. Desktop, two laptops (win xp pro on all systems)
Wired cable modem to d-link wireless hub, from the desktop, I can see and communicate with one of the laptops, can see but cannot communicate with the other laptop. I can communicate between the laptops, but cannot communicate to the desktop with either laptop.

Have wireless TIVO hooked up and can play music or display photoes from all 3 units with no problems.

Cannot ping desktop from the laptops, but can ping both laptops from desktop.

I cannot find an answer to my problem which is: I want all the units to be able to communicate with the others.

What specifically do you mean by "can't ping"? What error do you get?

Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF or third party)? If so,
you need to configure them for file sharing, by opening ports TCP 139, 445 and
UDP 137, 138, 445, and / or by identifying the other computers as present in the
Local (Trusted) zone. Firewall configurations are a very common cause of
pinging, (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question