Can Ping Branch Office SVR, can't connect to Share, SQL, RDP

mchristsen

I have set up a Site-to-Site VPN between two offices in our company.
Office 1 has 3 servers (RRAS, DC, SQL/EXCHG), 2 XP machines and Office
2 has 1 Server (DC, SQL) for now, 1 XP machine. I have one domain
across both Offices. The Site-toSite VPN connects fine and I am able
to ping in both directions from all machines. My problem is that I
cannot connect to any services in Office 2 from XP in Office 1. For
example, I cannot connect to a shared foler in Office 2, cannot connect
to SQL (Windows Auth. or SQL Auth.) and I cannot Remote Desktop to the
Server in Office 2. I can do all of these things from the Servers in
Office 1 to Office 2 and vice versa - that is why my DFS, DNS repl, AD
repl, etc all works.

If I open Explorer on WinXP and try to go to the Server in Office 2 by
\\O2S1or \\O2S1.mydomain.com it tries for about 5 minutes or so and
then tells me it can't resolve the name. I can ping O2S1 or
O2S1.mydomain.com.

If I look at my DNS server, I see entries for all the servers and they
have their correct IP addresses.

As for my routing, all IP packets go to my router (m0n0wall firewall),
where there is a static route to my VPN server.

Servers in Office 1 are Windows 2003 R2 x86
Server in Office 2 is Windows 2003 R2 x64

XP has Sp2 and all other latest updates.

Does anyone have an answer?
Thanks in advance.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

You may want to add WINS server to you network. Assuming you can ping each other by IP, can you do net view \\remoteIP? If yes, can you do net view \\remotehostname? If not, what's the system error?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
[...]

Robert

Net vew \\<local server> works fine. When I run net view \\<remote
machine> I get an System Error 64. (I was following the recommendations
from ChicagoTech.net last night)

I would prefer not to install WINS, as I have DNS installed and
replicating between the sites.

Could it be a problem with Kerberos Tickets?

Thanks
Michael

mchristsen

Would using ISA2004 make a difference in this case?

On the net view \\<remote> I get System Error 64 - The specified
network name isno longer available.
I get this on both workstations (one using ethernet and one useing
wireless).

Michael.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Do you have the ISA on the server? Can you do net view \\IP?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Would using ISA2004 make a difference in this case?

On the net view \\<remote> I get System Error 64 - The specified
network name isno longer available.
I get this on both workstations (one using ethernet and one useing
wireless).

Michael.

mchristsen

Robert

\\<ipaddr> yields the same result: System Error 64 has occured. The
specified network name is no longer available. I can still ping via
name and ip.
I am not running ISA at either location.

Thanks
Michael.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

It may be master browser issue. Use browstat to check the computer browser status.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Robert

\\<ipaddr> yields the same result: System Error 64 has occured. The
specified network name is no longer available. I can still ping via
name and ip.
I am not running ISA at either location.

Thanks
Michael.

mchristsen

Here is the browstat from a member server (not DC and not RRAS server)

Status for domain <domain> on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{710D5593-E05D-400E-
8D60-FC89E3D46558}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: LOSAL03
Master browser is running build 3790
2 backup servers retrieved from master LOSAL03
\\LOSAL03
\\LOSAL02
There are 4 servers in domain MOBILEXE on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{710
D5593-E05D-400E-8D60-FC89E3D46558}
There are 1 domains in domain MOBILEXE on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{710
D5593-E05D-400E-8D60-FC89E3D46558}

And this is from my workstation

Status for domain <domain> on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6B740ACB-C84C-4228-
B8F9-0F62FC56B4C9}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: LOSAL03
Master browser is running build 3790
2 backup servers retrieved from master LOSAL03
\\LOSAL03
\\LOSAL02
There are 4 servers in domain MOBILEXE on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6B7
40ACB-C84C-4228-B8F9-0F62FC56B4C9}
There are 1 domains in domain MOBILEXE on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6B7
40ACB-C84C-4228-B8F9-0F62FC56B4C9}

This is the results of browstat in the remote office (on the DC which
is running RRAS)

Status for domain <domain> on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{B26BD471-FC79-47C9-
A5C7-57963553C4E9}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: RPV01
Master browser is running build 3790
1 backup servers retrieved from master RPV01
\\RPV01
There are 5 servers in domain MOBILEXE on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{B26
BD471-FC79-47C9-A5C7-57963553C4E9}
There are 3 domains in domain MOBILEXE on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{B26
BD471-FC79-47C9-A5C7-57963553C4E9}

Please advise.

Thanks
Michael.

Status for domain <domain> on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8ECB97A2-5FF4-40B0-
AB05-9268526305FB}
Browsing is NOT active on domain. Status : 6118
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

It may be master browser issue. Use browstat to check the computer browser status.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Robert

\\<ipaddr> yields the same result: System Error 64 has occured. The
specified network name is no longer available. I can still ping via
name and ip.
I am not running ISA at either location.

Thanks
Michael.
Do you have the ISA on the server? Can you do net view \\IP?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Would using ISA2004 make a difference in this case?

On the net view \\<remote> I get System Error 64 - The specified
network name isno longer available.
I get this on both workstations (one using ethernet and one useing
wireless).

Michael.

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C6D328.96F0BDB0

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>It may be master browser issue. Use browstat to check the computer browser
status.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE &amp; CNE<BR>Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN
Troubleshooting on <A
href="http://www.ChicagoTech.net">http://www.ChicagoTech.net</A> <BR>How to
Setup Windows, Network, VPN &amp; Remote Access on <A
href="http://www.HowToNetworking.com">http://www.HowToNetworking.com</A> </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
<DIV>&lt;<A href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>&gt;
wrote in message <A
href="href="file://\\<ipaddr">\\&lt;ipaddr</A>&gt; yields the same result: System
Error 64 has occured.&nbsp; The<BR>specified network name is no longer
available.&nbsp; I can still ping via<BR>name and ip.<BR>I am not running ISA
at either location.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Michael.<BR><BR>Robert L [MS-MVP]
wrote:<BR>&gt; Do you have the ISA on the server? Can you do net view <A
href="file://\\IP">\\IP</A>?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE &amp;
CNE<BR>&gt; Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on <A
href="http://www.ChicagoTech.net">http://www.ChicagoTech.net</A><BR>&gt; How
to Setup Windows, Network, VPN &amp; Remote Access on <A
href="http://www.HowToNetworking.com">http://www.HowToNetworking.com</A><BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;
in message <A
href="Would using ISA2004 make a difference in this
case?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; On the net view <A
href="file://\\<remote">\\&lt;remote</A>&gt; I get System Error 64 - The
specified<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; network name isno longer
available.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; I get this on both workstations (one using
ethernet and one useing<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;
wireless).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Michael.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A
href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>
wrote:<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Robert<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Net vew <A
href="file://\\<local">\\&lt;local</A> server&gt; works fine.&nbsp; When I run
net view <A href="file://\\<remote">\\&lt;remote</A><BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;
machine&gt; I get an System Error 64. (I was following the
recommendations<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; from ChicagoTech.net last
night)<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; I would prefer not to
install WINS, as I have DNS installed and<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; replicating
between the sites.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Could it
be a problem with Kerberos Tickets?<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Thanks<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;
Michael<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C6D328.96F0BDB0--