Can I use TMP files to recover a deleted xls file?

T

TShirtPrintUK

We had a disastrous accident and deleted an Excel file permanently. We still
have eleven TMP files though in the same folder (with names like RT
ORDERS.xls~RFefb0e6.TMP), and I've retrieved an old archived version of the
original .xls file with records up to March last year.

Is there some way of using the TMP files to restore the data from the
deleted version of the .xls file?

D

Dave Peterson

These files aren't created by excel.

I'd bet that your antivirus program (AVG???) created them.

I have no idea how AVG creates them or what AVG puts in them, but you may want
to change the name to something.xls and see if they can be opened in excel.

J

Jon Peltier

I get files like that from time to time, and I'm not using AVG. I don't know
if they are the autorecover files Excel builds, or if little green men place
them there. I have on occasion deleted the characters after the .xls in the
file name and opened them in Excel. I seem to recall that they open fine,
but I can't tell you whether they are at all up to date or the answer to
your hopes.

- Jon

D

Dave Peterson

I've seen some posts that say Panda Client Shield can leave this junk out there,
too.

And I've seen one person say, er, insist that excel does it. But I've never
seen this.

But I'm not sure I'd put my money on the little green men!

S

Sergey Wasilenkow

We had a disastrous accident anddeletedan Excel file permanently. We still
have eleven TMPfilesthough in the same folder (with names like RT

Is there some way of using the TMPfilesto restore the data from thedeletedversion of the .xls file?

You can try to recover deleted Excel file with Easy File Undelete:

http://www.munsoft.com/EasyFileUndelete/

It uses unique modern algorithms to recover files that other software
either recovers incorrectly or is unable to detect.

A

Alan124

We had a disastrous accident and deleted anExcelfile permanently.  We still

Hi,

There is a tool called Advanced Excel Repair. I have used it to repair
many corrupt Excel xls files on my damaged disks successfully. Its
homepage is http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

Maybe you can have a try.

Alan

W

watyer

I just restored an excel file of mine from a tmp file by changing the extention of ".tmp" to ".xlsx" thanks to this post!

For me the tmp files only show up when I'm using the shared drives at our work place, so I think they are a residue of the network, probably to save aversion of the file that a second user may open as read-only while the first user has one open... just my best-guess. (Although if it's little greenmen I thank them!!)

A

arizonaplants1414

I just finished an audit of the last 3 years on my computer. It took me 2 weeks to complete! When done my computer was running slowly so I decided to back up my files on my other computer. I have about 5000 files to transfer.Of course I only have a 1gb memory stick to do this. Also of course my cd burner stops working. So I start copying a and pasting via mem stick. I start getting confused as to what has already been copied. Since I plan a format/re-install, I figure cut and pasting instead will save a ton of time andconfusion as to what's already been copied. I get about half my data transferred and the hard drive in the other computer crashes and the computer won't even start with that drive plugged in. Well I have about 5GB of data lost due to the fact that cut and paste doesn't send files to the recycle bin.. After a panic attack and resolving to spending the next 2 weeks rebuilding my spreadsheets I decide to do some research. I found a program Pandora Recovery. It found hundreds of deleted xls files but none were the final version of my ledger. I thought that I wish I had printed a copy on paper. Then Realized I might have for the IRS. Looking in my Tax folder I find a Paper copy. I'm so relieved all I have to do now is get an old copy and reconcile it with my paper copy. That will reduce a 2 week job to about 1-2 hrs. I found an Ledger.xls~RF128e3d8.TMP file. I tried to rename it but excell says it's either corrupt or not a file excel can open as a spreadsheet. Maybe I will try some other recover software before working on converting the paper copy back to excel. BTW I believe these tmp files are created by excelas I have always seen them in my documents folder on every computer I haveworked on. Most don't have antivirus and none are networked.

A

arizonaplants1414

I just finished an audit of the last 3 years on my computer. It took me 2weeks to complete! When done my computer was running slowly so I decided to back up my files on my other computer. I have about 5000 files to transfer. Of course I only have a 1gb memory stick to do this. Also of course my cd burner stops working. So I start copying a and pasting via mem stick. I start getting confused as to what has already been copied. Since I plan a format/re-install, I figure cut and pasting instead will save a ton of time and confusion as to what's already been copied. I get about half my data transferred and the hard drive in the other computer crashes and the computer won't even start with that drive plugged in. Well I have about 5GB of data lost due to the fact that cut and paste doesn't send files to the recycle bin. After a panic attack and resolving to spending the next 2 weeks rebuilding my spreadsheets I decide to do some research. I found a program Pandora Recovery. It found hundreds of deleted xls files but none were the final version of my ledger. I thought that I wish I had printed a copy on paper. Then Realized I might have for the IRS. Looking in my Tax folder I find a Paper copy. I'm so relieved all I have to do now is get an old copy and reconcile it with my paper copy. That will reduce a 2 week job to about 1-2 hrs.. I found an Ledger.xls~RF128e3d8.TMP file. I tried to rename it but excellsays it's either corrupt or not a file excel can open as a spreadsheet. Maybe I will try some other recover software before working on converting thepaper copy back to excel. BTW I believe these tmp files are created by excel as I have always seen them in my documents folder on every computer I have worked on. Most don't have antivirus and none are networked.

Just got a bright idea. from now on I will make a copy of my backup folder first. Then in the unlikely event this happens again it won't be such a disaster.

B

bonmaria57

You can recover your Excel file from your system, no need of that TMP file,just use Kernel for windows, file recovery software to recover any type offile from your system. To know more about file recovery software and to check the demo software you can visit http://www.recoverlostfile.net

A

ajpiggush

I just restored an excel file of mine from a tmp file by changing the extention of ".tmp" to ".xlsx" thanks to this post!

For me the tmp files only show up when I'm using the shared drives at ourwork place, so I think they are a residue of the network, probably to savea version of the file that a second user may open as read-only while the first user has one open... just my best-guess. (Although if it's little green men I thank them!!)

This worked for me as well!

A

amemon

Yes, I just did. Use pandora recovery software to download the .tmp file which in the "modified last" column reports the most recent time stamp. Once you download the .tmp file, use excel to open it by selecting "all files" in the file type drop down. Did the work for me!

P

paulstront

Excel Repair Toolbox is an advantageous data recovery solution designed to recover corrupt Excel files within a few clicks. Powerful yet easy to use software supports restoring XLS files, while preserving original formatting.The program's advanced capabilities include repairing formulas, hyperlinks, comments, diagrams, pictures, VBA macros and cell data of workbook

K

klarksammuil

Try there're soft: Active File Recovery, Recover My Files.
Also a demo version of Excel Repair Toolbox to find a lost data from .xls, ..xlsx files. In a cases when the build-in recovery function in Microsoft Excel are not helpful then you can use most effective third-part tool for fixing a bad Excel worksheets: Excel Repair Toolbox.

Ask a Question