Can I run Setup.exe?

Kevin

Dear NG:

WinXP Pro SP2 NTFS

I've successfully slipstreamed XP2 into a folder D:\XPSP2.

I'd like to reformat C:\ and then run Setup.exe from the D:\ drive rather
than the CDROM.

Is this possible?

This process was a no-brainer in Win98SE with a FAT system and a startup
disk.

I've tried using the Recovery Console to access the setup file on D.

After I changed the setting in the Group Policy Editor for the Recovery
Console and changed the attribute for the SET command to AllowAllPaths =
TRUE, I was able to navigate to D:\XPSP2 Setup.exe but the Recovery Console
does not allow the running of executables. It doesn't recognize the
command. Dead End.

Is there something simple I'm missing here or is this the inherent security
of NTFS?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--Kevin

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your posting here.

First you need to create an integrated installation of Windows XP and the
service pack. Please refer to the "The Integrated Installation" chapter of
the following document for the detailed information.

Guide for Installing and Deploying Microsoft? Windows? XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/spdeploy.mspx#E
DAA

You can just boot your computer from Windows98SE startup disk and locate
the installation folder. Run the WinNt.exe command to install Windows XP.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "Kevin" <[email protected]>
Subject: Can I run Setup.exe?
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:30:23 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

[...]

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned I've successfully integrated SP2 and WinXP into a folder
D:\XPSP2.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Booting from a Win 98SE startup disk, NTFS
will NOT allow me
to Run D:\XPSP2\WinNt.exe

--Kevin

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Kevin,

If the D: partition is not NTFS file system, we still can run WINNT.exe
from Windows 98 Startup disk. If both the C: and D: are NTFS file system,
then you need to boot from Windows XP Setup CD or install in system.

If you would like to run Setup.exe in the current Windows XP, you can
choose to perform a new installation. But you cannot delete the C:\
partition since the Setup temporary files are stored in it. You can just
delete the original installation folder or choose another folder to install
the new Windows XP.

Thank you again for using our newsgoup!