Can I re-partition after installation?

I have made a clean-install of Win 2000 on my D: drive, under a dual-boot
system with Win 98 still on C:. The 2000 system is now an NTFS partition that
uses the whole 40 GB D: drive, but I had wanted to partition that drive.

I installed 2000 from the CD using the GUI version of Setup. I'm certain I
selected Advanced Options, but I saw no opportunity to partition D: before
installation nor to set the size of the 2000 partition -- only the location
(i.e. "D:").

Can I still break up the big partition into a few smaller ones, or must I
reinstall Win 2000? If the latter, must I uninstall 2000 first, or just run
Setup again?

Thanks!

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Allen_N said:
I have made a clean-install of Win 2000 on my D: drive, under a dual-boot
system with Win 98 still on C:. The 2000 system is now an NTFS partition that
uses the whole 40 GB D: drive, but I had wanted to partition that drive.

I installed 2000 from the CD using the GUI version of Setup. I'm certain I
selected Advanced Options, but I saw no opportunity to partition D: before
installation nor to set the size of the 2000 partition -- only the location
(i.e. "D:").

Can I still break up the big partition into a few smaller ones, or must I
reinstall Win 2000? If the latter, must I uninstall 2000 first, or just run
Setup again?

Thanks!

You need a partitioning tool, e.g. from Acronis or PowerQuest.

Dave Patrick

Partition Magic or equal. Yes you can choose a partition size at the time of
a new installation.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
|I have made a clean-install of Win 2000 on my D: drive, under a dual-boot
| system with Win 98 still on C:. The 2000 system is now an NTFS partition
that
| uses the whole 40 GB D: drive, but I had wanted to partition that drive.
|
| I installed 2000 from the CD using the GUI version of Setup. I'm certain I
| selected Advanced Options, but I saw no opportunity to partition D: before
| installation nor to set the size of the 2000 partition -- only the
location
| (i.e. "D:").
|
| Can I still break up the big partition into a few smaller ones, or must I
| reinstall Win 2000? If the latter, must I uninstall 2000 first, or just
run
| Setup again?
|
| Thanks!

Bob

Pegasus (MVP) said:
"Allen_N" wrote in message

You need a partitioning tool, e.g. from Acronis or PowerQuest.
I use "Boot It" though. It is very good for me. I can even backup
custom-installed Win2k partition to DVD rom. I do not need to re-install
fresh Win2k again. Backup DVD Win2k will replace within an hour exactly the
way I like.
Unlike Partition Magic, it is fully functional shareware. The only thing is
never install to HD whenever it ask, if you do not plan to buy shoftware.