Can I Delete Temp folders

caveman

Hi,

Can I delete the contents of Temp and Temporary Internet files,
found in the Documents and Settings folder?
(i.e. documents and settings\unknown user\local settings\temp)

Many thanks for any help

Ken Blake, MVP

Can I delete the contents of Temp and Temporary Internet files,
found in the Documents and Settings folder?
(i.e. documents and settings\unknown user\local settings\temp)

Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create
temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should
delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it
doesn't always happen (for example, if the program crashes, it never gets to
do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything
left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps.
The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The
second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those
files there (and then deletes them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with
installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the
contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that
aren't open and in use by an application, and since Windows won't let you
delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any
fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically
when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the next time you delete
manually.

Beck

Hi,

Can I delete the contents of Temp and Temporary Internet files,
found in the Documents and Settings folder?
(i.e. documents and settings\unknown user\local settings\temp)

Many thanks for any help

Yes. Disc cleanup will do the job nicely. start-programs-accessories-system
tools- disc cleanup.
If it places a tick in "compress old files" remove the tick, you do not want
to delete these.

antioch

Hi
Can you confirm which temp you are talking about.
One does get partial deletion via disk cleanup according to the days set for
the deletion to take effect as mentioned.
The other can be done manually - so why install another unnecessary
programme on your computer?
Rgds
Antioch

antioch

Why install another unnecessary prog on your system - you can clear the temp
manually at regular intervals. Its size depends on how many times a day you
switch your comp on and off, because each time, two or more temp files will
be added - and disk cleanup does NOT delete these temp files. All files and
folders that will delete can be - you will be prevented from the deletion if
any file that should not be deleted.
See also post 'Temp Folder' from Lee Mason 15.05.2006 17:26 for further
info.
The reboot bit IS important before deleting.
Rgds
Antioch

antioch

Beck said:
Yes. Disc cleanup will do the job nicely.
start-programs-accessories-system tools- disc cleanup.
If it places a tick in "compress old files" remove the tick, you do not
want to delete these.

Hi Beck
Not for everyone disk cleanup doesn't. It will only delete from the temp
folder that gets next to nothing in it any way. And then only after a
period of time.
Disk cleanup does not touch ''Run" %temp% click OK.
a recent poster had nearly 1,000 files/folders in there - never realised
it - I didn't until I happened to look one day and there were just over 480.
If you don't know about this one, take a look! - you could get a surprise.
Rgds
Antioch

David Candy

Normally there will be nothing in %temp%. Only very old programs may use it (but as some windir folder is wrong name won't find it - ie WinNT) or programs running when noone is logged in - which is very rare. When one logs on the temp file changes from windows\temp to the user's temp folder.

antioch

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Normally there will be nothing in %temp%. Only very old programs may use it
(but as some windir folder is wrong name won't find it - ie WinNT) or
programs running when noone is logged in - which is very rare. When one logs
on the temp file changes from windows\temp to the user's temp folder.

Hi David
If I read the above correctly i.e 'normally there will be nothing in %temp%.
Only very old programs may use it......'
I think you may have things 'arse-about-face'
Why are there fairly frequent posts regarding the quantity of files and
folders that build up in this %temp%.
Over the past 5 years I have had a system running WIN2000 - that would get a
build-up in %temp% - since then 2 systems running WIN XP SP2 have done
exactly the same.
I get nothing in the other temp - the one that disk cleanup is supposed to
delete but sometimes doesn't?
Rgds
Antioch

Plato

Can I delete the contents of Temp and Temporary Internet files,
found in the Documents and Settings folder?
(i.e. documents and settings\unknown user\local settings\temp)

Yes. No problem. And recommended.