R

Ralph Höglund

I have a faulty motherboard with a working 233 Mhz CPU:
Intel Pentium MMX BP80503233

I have another motherboard with this 133 Mhz CPU:
Intel Pentium A80502133

Now, can I just put the faster CPU into the other
board and will it work?

Does the board sense the CPU and change clock rate?

Ralph

J

Jon Danniken

Ralph Höglund said:
I have a faulty motherboard with a working 233 Mhz CPU:
Intel Pentium MMX BP80503233

I have another motherboard with this 133 Mhz CPU:
Intel Pentium A80502133

Now, can I just put the faster CPU into the other
board and will it work?

Does the board sense the CPU and change clock rate?

Well, Ralph, it would really help if you told us the make and model of the motherboard that
works. If you can't seem to find out from the board itself, reviewing the information on the
screen during boot might help, especially the long number at the bottom. Take that number to
http://www.wimsbios.com/ for sleuthing..

That being said, ISTR that MMX chips required a seperate I/0 voltage than did the P1 chips, but
again, without knowing what motherboard you have, I don't know if it has the provision to accept
this.

As for your last question, on a board of that age you will most likely have to set jumpers to
determine the speed. Here again, knowing the make and model of your motherboard is helpful,
although this information is usually silk-screened onto the board itself.

Jon

R

Ralph Höglund

Jon Danniken said:
Well, Ralph, it would really help if you told us the make and model of the motherboard that
works. If you can't seem to find out from the board itself, reviewing the information on the
screen during boot might help, especially the long number at the bottom. Take that number to
http://www.wimsbios.com/ for sleuthing..

That being said, ISTR that MMX chips required a seperate I/0 voltage than did the P1 chips, but
again, without knowing what motherboard you have, I don't know if it has the provision to accept
this.

As for your last question, on a board of that age you will most likely have to set jumpers to
determine the speed. Here again, knowing the make and model of your motherboard is helpful,
although this information is usually silk-screened onto the board itself.

Jon

Thanks a lot Jon for the information, that helped. I found out that it was this board: (I am getting BIOS Version 1.00.04.CB0 at
startup)

Intel® Advanced/EV Motherboard
Supported Processors

End of Interactive Support Announcement
These products are no longer being manufactured by Intel. Additionally, Intel no longer provides interactive support for these
products via telephone or e-mail, nor will Intel provide any future software updates to support new operating systems or improve
compatibility with third party devices and software products.
THESE DOCUMENTS ARE PROVIDED FOR HISTORICAL REFERENCE PURPOSES ONLY AND ARE SUBJECT TO THE TERMS SET FORTH IN THE "LEGAL
INFORMATION" LINK BELOW.For information on currently available Intel products, please see www.intel.com and/or developer.intel.com

End of Interactive Support
Intel is announcing the end of interactive support for the Intel® Advanced/EV Motherboard. See the End of Interactive Support
Announcement for details.

All Intel® Advanced/EV motherboards will support Intel® Pentium® processors from 75 MHz to 133 MHz.
Only Advanced/EV motherboards with a "Socket 7" and Jumper J1N1 will support the 150 MHz, 166 MHz, and 200 MHz Pentium
processors.

Warning: Processors not specifically listed by type and rated speed may have requirements that are not supported by the
motherboard's design. Use of unsupported processors may result in improper operation, damage to the motherboard or processor, or
reduced product life.

So, I better not put the 233 Mhz processor in there after all. It is not so important, I use the computer
as a simple printer-server.

Kind regards,
Ralph

J

jeff findley

Ralph Höglund said:
All Intel® Advanced/EV motherboards will support Intel® Pentium® processors from 75 MHz to 133 MHz.
Only Advanced/EV motherboards with a "Socket 7" and Jumper J1N1 will support the 150 MHz, 166 MHz, and 200 MHz Pentium
processors.

Warning: Processors not specifically listed by type and rated speed may have requirements that are not supported by the
motherboard's design. Use of unsupported processors may result in improper operation, damage to the motherboard or processor, or
reduced product life.

So, I better not put the 233 Mhz processor in there after all. It is not so important, I use the computer
as a simple printer-server.

No, you'd likely smoke something. There are fundamental differences
between the Pentium MMX CPU's and the non-MMX Pentiums.

I've got one of these boards with integrated SB-16 sound. It's a
fairly nice board. Mine's only got a P-100 on it though. I'm
planning on converting it into a DOS based MP3 player. ;-)

Jeff

J

Jon Danniken

Thanks a lot Jon for the information, that helped. I found out that it was this board: (I
am getting BIOS Version 1.00.04.CB0 at

It's my pleasure, Ralph. You might try Ebay for an old motherboard; dig around and you'll
probably find something for a few bucks that will work for you.

Jon

R

rick osborn

I don't know if you did this, Intel may not actively support the system
but may still provide docs out on the web site.

A manual may give supported CPU's, jumper settings, and MMX compatibility.

G

Gene Puhl

Thanks a lot Jon for the information, that helped. I found out that it
was this board: (I am getting BIOS Version 1.00.04.CB0 at startup)

Intel® Advanced/EV Motherboard
Supported Processors

You're boned, I had one of those MB's, P133 is the best you'll get.
And I had upgraded the BIOS to final.
It was a POS.

Ask a Question