Can a send an email mail merge on behalf of someone else?

G

I need to create a mass mailing and would like the message to come from my
manager. Is this possible?

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

No, you'll have to log into a profile for your manager's mailbox, not yours, if you want to be able to do this.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003

and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

C

CMM

Sue, perhaps I misunderstood the posters question, but I don't think your
reply was correct.

staciep, you can do what you seek by displaying the From field in the
message window. If using Outlook's standard editor, it's in the View menu.
If using Word as the editor it's in the Options drop down button on the
toolbar.

If you don't already have the proper permissions, your manager can give them
to you via Tools | Options | Delegates.

I know for sure this is possible in Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server
2003.... but I also seem to remember having this ability in earlier versions
of both Outlook and Exchange.

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

staciep's question was in the context of a mail merge. The From field isn't available as part of that process.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

G

Is there a way to do this if you want to send the email on behalf of an email
address that does not have an exchange mailbox but is instead tied to a
public folder?

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

In a mail merge? No.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Reaction score
Though this thread is quite old, I want to help anyone that may come across it asking this question. It is possible. Before doing an email merge, go to Outlook, click the Send/Receive tab, and click Work Offline. When you complete the email merge, Word will send the emails to your outbox where they will sit. Go to your outbox, open each email, change the "From" email address, and hit send to close the email (your manager needs to grant you delegate access in order to do this). When done, click the Work Offline button again to connect Outlook to the internet, and the emails will be sent on behalf of your manager.

Reaction score
While now the post is even older, I would like to thank susieQ522 for her post. That worked for me! But, I wasn't looking forward to going into 500 emails and changing each email one-by-one, so I created the code below to automatically change them while they are in your Outbox, before you go back to working online.

A couple of notes:
* The code will only work if you have something selected and you need to be in the Outbox (as a safeguard).
* Make sure you have rights to whomever you are trying to send it from and that you spell it correctly. As a test I used my Hotmail account as the from address using Outlook at work where we have an Exchange server and it ending up sending them from my default work Outlook address instead.
* I suggest you run a few test emails before selected all of yours to begin with.
* I tried using objItem.Sender first but it kept erroring out on me so I tried objItem.SentOnBehalfOfName instead and it worked perfect for me.
* You need to have the Developer tab showing in Outlook. I clicked the Visual Basic button on that tab and added the code below. After that, select the emails in your Outbox and then click the Macros dropdown button on the Developer tab and select the FromAnotherUser macro.

Sub FromAnotherUser()
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Dim objItem As Outlook.MailItem
Dim intSelected As Integer ' Number of emails selected.
Dim strSentOnBehalfOf As String ' Who we want the email to be from.
Dim intResponse As Integer ' Used to confirm with the user they want to make the change.

intSelected = Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection.Count
strSentOnBehalfOf = "(e-mail address removed)" ' Change this to fit your needs. Make sure you have rights to this account and it is spelled correctly!

' Require that this procedure be called only when a message is selected.
If intSelected = 0 Then
Exit Sub
End If

' Only run this procedure if we are in the Outbox.
If Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = "Outbox" Then
' Confirm that user wants to proceed.
intResponse = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to mark these " & intSelected & " messages as being from " & strSentOnBehalfOf & "?", vbYesNoCancel, "Change Sender?")
If intResponse = vbYes Then
For Each objItem In Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection
If objItem.Class = olMail Then
objItem.SentOnBehalfOfName = strSentOnBehalfOf
objItem.Send ' If working offline it won't send yet, only prepares if for sending (same as opening the email in your Outbox and hitting the Send button).
'objItem.Save <- Don't save, otherwise it won't send (email changes from italics to regular font in the Outbox, it needs to be in italics) when back online.
End If
Next
Set objItem = Nothing
End If
End If

Exit Sub 'To Avoid ErrorHandler.

ErrorHandler:
MsgBox "Error #" & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description, vbOKOnly, "Error"

End Sub

Reaction score
While now the post is even older, I would like to thank susieQ522 for her post. That worked for me! But, I wasn't looking forward to going into 500 emails and changing each email one-by-one, so I created the code below to automatically change them while they are in your Outbox, before you go back to working online.

A couple of notes:
* The code will only work if you have something selected and you need to be in the Outbox (as a safeguard).
* Make sure you have rights to whomever you are trying to send it from and that you spell it correctly. As a test I used my Hotmail account as the from address using Outlook at work where we have an Exchange server and it ending up sending them from my default work Outlook address instead.
* I suggest you run a few test emails before selected all of yours to begin with.
* I tried using objItem.Sender first but it kept erroring out on me so I tried objItem.SentOnBehalfOfName instead and it worked perfect for me.
* You need to have the Developer tab showing in Outlook. I clicked the Visual Basic button on that tab and added the code below. After that, select the emails in your Outbox and then click the Macros dropdown button on the Developer tab and select the FromAnotherUser macro.

Sub FromAnotherUser()
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Dim objItem As Outlook.MailItem
Dim intSelected As Integer ' Number of emails selected.
Dim strSentOnBehalfOf As String ' Who we want the email to be from.
Dim intResponse As Integer ' Used to confirm with the user they want to make the change.

intSelected = Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection.Count
strSentOnBehalfOf = "(e-mail address removed)" ' Change this to fit your needs. Make sure you have rights to this account and it is spelled correctly!

' Require that this procedure be called only when a message is selected.
If intSelected = 0 Then
Exit Sub​
End If

' Only run this procedure if we are in the Outbox.
If Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = "Outbox" Then
' Confirm that user wants to proceed.​
intResponse = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to mark these " & intSelected & " messages as being from " & strSentOnBehalfOf & "?", vbYesNoCancel, "Change Sender?")​
If intResponse = vbYes Then​
For Each objItem In Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection​
If objItem.Class = olMail Then​
objItem.SentOnBehalfOfName = strSentOnBehalfOf​
objItem.Send ' If working offline it won't send yet, only prepares if for sending (same as opening the email in your Outbox and hitting the Send button).​
'objItem.Save <- Don't save, otherwise it won't send (email changes from italics to regular font in the Outbox, it needs to be in italics) when back online.​
End If​

Next​

Set objItem = Nothing​

End If​
End If

Exit Sub 'To Avoid ErrorHandler.

ErrorHandler:
MsgBox "Error #" & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description, vbOKOnly, "Error"

End Sub

thanks a lot for the quote, i'm trying to use it but i error occurred, run-time error 438: object doesn't support this property.
also, the sender email changed only for 1 email at a time, every time i run the code, error msg popped up and only work on 1 out of all email in the inbox. can you help please?

Ask a Question