From: John Doe [mailto: (e-mail address removed)]
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 11:32 AM
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Test

When: Friday, December 26, 2008 11:45 AM-12:00 PM (GMT-05:00) Eastern
Time (US & Canada).

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

On the other hand, when I send myself a calendar invite from Outlook
on my home machine to my work email address, the calendar invite
arrives as a real calendar invite - not a text email.

My IT guy tells me that it's basically a hit or miss prospect whether
both companies are using Exchange or not and whether both clients are
Outlook clients or not.

Can someone help me understand if this is accurate or if there's a
setting that can be used to ensure that Outlook calendar invites
arrive at their destination as real invites?

Thanks.
Robert

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

This usually happens when the tnef data is missing from the message or its otherwise converted to a plain text message. It can work without exchange - but the recipient may need to use outlook or you need to send them as icals, not native outlook items.

Set the contact to always get RTf messages. If this doesn't help, your server may be stripping the TNEF data for internet addresses.

The first step is to insure the contact can receive RTF. If they get RTF messages converted to plain text, then your server may be the problem. Try selecting the meeting and going to Actions, forward as ical.

darkwing_duck wrote on Mon, 29 December 2008 17:02
At my last company I used Calendar (Outlook 2003) invites all the
time. I would create the event in my calendar and invite customers to
those and all would be good with the world. They would receive a
calendar artifact that allowed them to accept or reject the meeting
request or propose a new time.

Now I'm with a new company and when I send Calendar (Outlook 2007)
invites the same way and they arrive at my recipient's email folder as
a plain text email. No "accept" button, no "reject" button, or
anything else that I would expect, just a plain email text. I sent a
calendar invite to my personal email that I use Outlook to read and
the same thing comes across:

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

Robert Brown

Thanks very much. I'll try that. In the meantime, where is the setting on
the Exchange server to strip out the TNEF? If I get to that point, I want to
be able to take as much detail as I can to my IT guy to try and convince him
to look into this a bit more than "it's hit or miss".

Thanks again,
Robert

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

it’s a global setting accessed from the ESM. In Exchange 2007 its under org
config, hub transport, remote domain properties. It's in a similar location
in older versions of exchange.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)