C:\$mft is corrupt (after SP1 express install)

Bruce Merkle

Just installed SP1. Now I get many messages telling me

C:$Mft is corrupt and unreadable

And suggesting I run chkdsk, which does not solve the problem.

Any insights, anyone?

Tx,
Bruce

neil

Have you booted from the CD and ran chkdsk/ then whatever letter it is to
check the drive even when not identified as dirty.
Must admit I can't think of anything else.

Good Luck

Neil

Bruce Merkle

It has become a long story.

chkdsk/f seemed to take care of the problem for a while, but after an hour
or two, the messages started popping back up, the system slowed down, and
ultimately ran low on resources at one point.

Research at various web sites led me to think that I could repair the
problem by booting with the CD, using the repair console, and running
FIXMBR. But, access to the repair console requires an administrator
password. Now, I -am- the administrator, but my password doesn't work.
Apparently, this password is a for a super secret, super administrator. To
get to (or modify) that password, I believe you need to boot in safe mode,
then press ctl-alt-del twice (for XP Home) (and maybe do a handstand, hey
why not?).

Unfortunately, by then, I couldn't even boot in safe mode, though I could
boot from CD.

I ended up doing a repair installation of XP, which for some reason took two
tries to work, but work it did, or so it seems as of right now. The only
significant thing I can see that needed changing after the repair install
was the computer name, which it didn't seem to keep. The installed software
packages seemed to stay intact.

Of course, I'm half expecting the problem to re-appear tomorrow.

So, to summarize:

I set out to install SP1 express, quite innocently. 11 hours later I am
back to XP, pre-service packs, and I am very hesitant to start down the
windows update path again. One wonders why a Microsoft service pack would
torch the master file table. Or maybe there's a joke I'm just not getting.
I'm surely not laughing.

If anyone else chooses to go this route, be careful to choose the repair
installation, which doesn't wipe out your other installed software.

Bruce