Building a new pc

Reaction score
Exactly.

I think i might just go with all that.

Will order it later today, so that it might arrive tomorrow.

Thanks a lot everyone, might be back when i need to plug it all in together.

Reaction score
I ordered it and it all turned up today. Took me a couple of hours to get it together and now it works fine - except for one thing: How do i add the secondary harddrive (the 500GB storage one). So far it is connected to the motherboard via SATA into slot 2 (the 160GB drive with vista on is at slot 1). When i turn on the pc the BIOS finds it and lists it, but in vista it doesn't show up, why would this be?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chris_huh said:
I ordered it and it all turned up today. Took me a couple of hours to get it together and now it works fine - except for one thing: How do i add the secondary harddrive (the 500GB storage one). So far it is connected to the motherboard via SATA into slot 2 (the 160GB drive with vista on is at slot 1). When i turn on the pc the BIOS finds it and lists it, but in vista it doesn't show up, why would this be?

You need to format it.

In XP it would be in Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Disk Management where it would show up. And then you'd format it to either NTFS or FAT32. No need for FAT32 unless you going to be dual booting Linux.

But in Vista? Sorry, ain't got a clue.....

Reaction score
Yeah, that was it. It was not initialised, and then a partition was needed to be made. I'm sure i didn't need to do that with PATA drives.

I made it NTFS as with the new ubuntu coming out next week NTFS should be even more accepted, and i never actually had any problems with linux and NTFS before.

Cheers

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chris_huh said:
Yeah, that was it. It was not initialised, and then a partition was needed to be made. I'm sure i didn't need to do that with PATA drives.

Sorted. Nope, you wouldn't have had to do that with PATA drives.

I made it NTFS as with the new ubuntu coming out next week NTFS should be even more accepted, and i never actually had any problems with linux and NTFS before.

Cheers

In my experience, all Linux Distros can read NTFS drives but can't write to them.

If a new version of Ubuntu can read and write, this is a good thing.

Let us know if it can, I'd be really interested about that.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If a new version of Ubuntu can read and write, this is a good thing.

Let us know if it can, I'd be really interested about that.
I just installed ubuntu 7.10 and it seems to handle NTFS just fine - which is good. The onboard wifi was also picked up straight away no problems even with WPA2 encryption on the network sp obviaouly the list of Wifi drivers must be longer now.

My new pc seems to have been working absolutely fine until yesterday when i restarted it. For some reason it now takes ages for the motherboard to load up - It hangs on the Asus Ai loading screen for about 10 minutes before doing anything else. Other than that everything seems to be working ok.
Do you know why it might be taking so long to load the motherboard (its the Asus P5K-E Wifi AP edition board listed before)?

Ask a Question