Building a new pc

Reaction score
My old pc is finally dying so i thought i would get a new one. Looking at the prices it seems that it could be a bit cheaper to build my own than buy one from dell (plus i would get what i want). I have worked out some of the stuff i think would be good.

I was just wondering if anything here stood out as being a stupid decision, or wouldn't work?
  • Motherboard:asus p5b deluxe wifi ap
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20GHz Socket 775
  • Memory: Corsair 2x 1GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400
  • Graphics card: ASUS EN8600GT SILENT 512MB
  • HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATAII / 7200rpm
  • Optical drive: LG GSA-H62NBAL DVD +/-RW
  • Case: Aopen ES45F ATX Miditower (but not certain yet)
I was also gonna get a tv tuner (probably the Hauppauge Dual DVB one), and a media card reader to fit into an external 3.5" slot, but that can wait.

Does that sound any good?

Reaction score
Heyhey, what's your price range mate?

Also what you going to use it for? Gaming/Media etc etc?

Reaction score
I suppose price range would be about £600 including a widescreen 19" monitor. I found a nice samsung monitor for about £150 yesterday, but lost the link to it.
So i guess about £450/500 or so excluding monitor, tv tuner, etc.

And it would be for media, photo editing, website design and gaming (although not massive gaming).

Reaction score
Not massive gaming huh?

Well once these guys hear you say that your gonna get dragged in I bet ;)

Welcome to the site mate

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Your going to need a decent PSU to go with that lot .
nod.gif

Reaction score
Ah yes, the case comes with a 350W one. Would that be enough? I don't really know much about PSUs, do they vary greatly, is it much better to get your own or get one with the case. And then theres fans too.

Also, when it comes to RAM would it be better to get the 2x1GB kit i listed above or get a cheap 1x2GB (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4PDZ&tduid=d0c6384b375ecd09b27c9075472083bd).

And i forgot to mention that i would probably get another HDD (about 160GB) for the operating systems and programs etc and use the 500GB for storage.

Reaction score
You can get 1000w PSU's so yes they vary alot ;)

I'd get 2 x 1 GB when it comes to RAM to use Duel Channelling with it (essentially faster)

As a case i highly recommend the Antec 900 - only £70-75 and an excellent case, big enough for whatever you need, superb cooling (keeps my room cold!) and looks very cool indeed!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Heres a good spec for your budget. :)

The option to play games, although not at max details, good PSU, CPU, RAM and board.

Obviously you can change parts as you feel fit. :)

EDIT: From here - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/index.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 503
Reaction score
So would 350W be ok?

The main thing that i always seem to hear about building your own pc is compatibility. So do you know if any of those things i've mentioned are likely to be incompatible?

I had looked at Thermaltake cases and liked the look of them but i couldn't find anywhere that sold the ones i was interested in, so i have no idea how much they would be (the WingRS 100 and 101), i think they can come with a 400W PSU.

Reaction score
I doubt 350W would be, go with what V_R has put down, looks good for your budget.

They all look compatable to me.

Buy a seperate PSU i would say (generic crap)

Antec 900! :p (case)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Belloni said:
Antec 900! :p (case)
Were you another i converted to the 900 way!? :D

Tis a good case but i think it may strech the budget of the OP, The Zen is the best cheap case you can get Good cooling and not bad to look at, and at £30 its a bargain. :)

Reaction score
Yes you were V_R, which i forever will love you for lol ;)

Ahh yeah good point, i forgot about that! :(

Reaction score
Ah, that very useful, thanks.

When it comes to SATA, how many drives can you plug into one port. With old IDE cables there were two on each port into the motherboard, is SATA the same or is it just one. I ask as i would like to have room to expand later on - starting with two HDDs and 2 optical drives, i would like the option of maybe getting a 3rd or 4th HDD in (especially since all the cases i have seen seem to be able to take about 6).

With the graphics card would it make a great deal of difference getting a 512MB or 256MB 8600GT?

Also i plan to use ubuntu on this, just in case that is something to take on.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Still not seen any pics of yours mate. Get 'em in the gallery! :D

Gtta say though i do love the 900, Dont think there is a case that cools better imo. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Chris_huh said:
When it comes to SATA, how many drives can you plug into one port. With old IDE cables there were two on each port into the motherboard, is SATA the same or is it just one. I ask as i would like to have room to expand later on - starting with two HDDs and 2 optical drives, i would like the option of maybe getting a 3rd or 4th HDD in (especially since all the cases i have seen seem to be able to take about 6).
No, one SATA port one disk, the optical drive i speced is an IDE one though.
With the graphics card would it make a great deal of difference getting a 512MB or 256MB 8600GT?
The speed of the card is more important to an extent, however the more VRAM the better. But its down to budget tbh. :)

Reaction score
Oh yeah, pictures lol will do! (Will be off my phone though for the time being)

The more RAM on the card means you can run the card at higher screen resolutions - 1600 x 1200 etc.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R recommended an 8600GT :eek:

You really think there's much improvement over a 7600GT?

Antec 900's roolz :D

I know you got yours first V_R but I honestly chose that thing without knowing you had one, I must have missed or forgotten your original pix and thread, sorry bout dat.

Current temps on main system: CPU: 39C MB: 33C Groovy :cool:

But I got me Pebble first, ner ner :p

Now where were we?

Oh yes, excellent specced system, Mr Vanilla Radio :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Belloni said:
The more RAM on the card means you can run the card at higher screen resolutions - 1600 x 1200 etc.
Yes and no, High detail textures in the new games take up a lot of VRAM, That and the 22" Samsung monitor are the main reasons i got the GTX, and i dont regret it one bit, a game on the buggy, unoptimised Crysis beta tells me that! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
V_R recommended an 8600GT :eek:

You really think there's much improvement over a 7600GT?
Only as he said he's not a big gamer, and tbh i guessed he'd be using Vista, then he says Ubantu!
laughingsmiley.gif

So yes a 7600GT may well be just as good. :thumb:

and no need to apologize mate, we just have good taste!! ;):D

Ask a Question