BT slash 0870 and 0845 charges

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a smart move on BT's part.

£24 million is probably the cost of two or three advertising campaigns for them so if this move of theirs reaches the greater public they will probably gain as many sales as those ad campaigns in good will.

If there's one thing that really cheeses me off it's those 0870/0845 numbers.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Excellent news..and just great timing for me as i have just returned to BT.

Reaction score
Nice one BT...
I can't quite remember..But i'm sure I read it on here..Apparently there is a site you goto and enter these 0870 0800 numbers and it will give you an 0208 or 0207 or which ever area of the uk the company might be in..?Which intern made fro cheaper calls..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Nice one BT...
I can't quite remember..But i'm sure I read it on here..Apparently there is a site you goto and enter these 0870 0800 numbers and it will give you an 0208 or 0207 or which ever area of the uk the company might be in..?Which intern made fro cheaper calls..

That's true, it's called 'Say no to 0870' or similar.

Some work, some don't.

The companies got wise and changed their land line numbers in some cases :mad:

Which sometimes made me wonder 'Do I really want to deal with a company that uses an 08 number?'

Even my ISP, Zen, who I quite like, use one of those numbers for their helpline.

Only time I have ever used their helpline was back in June when I moved house. I was on the phone to them for easily 45 minutes, the call cost me around £12.00 :eek:

Makes me wonder if Zen are the best choice sometimes....

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Not always, see my above post.

Some of those greedy buggers have got wise to that site :(

I usually find what I need vary rare I can`t.

Yes thats true but every day someone finds an alternative number
:)

If I cant find a number bugger them I take/spend my £££ elsewhere:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
If I cant find a number bugger them I take/spend my £££ elsewhere:D

Sometimes you don't have a choice.

Credit cards, banks and as I mentioned above, my ISP.

Which is one of the reasons I'm thinking of changing my ISP, the other being I was charged a fiver for extra bandwidth in December. Not good enough.

I recently had some fraudulent purchases made on one of my credit cards, had to use an 08 number to speak to them then.

They did resolve the problem quickly, assured me it was quite common, issued me with a replacement card/PIN and refunded over £500.00 to me.

I will say though that mostly I can find a number, it's probably about 20% have removed their alternative numbers, in my experience.

Reaction score
itsme said:
IMHO all providers will follow or loose out to BT:bow:
Hope so.
nod.gif

Ask a Question