BSOD's, tried everything, please help

Darth Elvis

Hi,

....and now for a long story and a real challenge:

Setup:
Pentium 4 3.00Ghz
Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard
2*512 MB Kingston HyperX KHX3500K2/1G
Asus V9950 GeForce FX 5900 128MB
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA/133
Windows XP Professional SP 1 & latest patches

I spend countless hours trying to identify the cause of the problem I'm
having. I've been getting all kinds of blue screens, like:

1) page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
stop: 0x00000050 (0xe1b09a6c, 0x00000001, 0xbf83d70c,0x00000001)
win32k.sys - address bf83d70c base at bf800000, datestamp 3d6de5e5

2) stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xBF87E321,0xF6B9863C,0x00000000)
win32k.sys - address bf87e321 base at bf800000, datestamp 3d6de5e5

and this message directly after booting:
3) windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

To isolate the problem I did the following:

I only connected the GeForce and the HDD, not even the Diskette station or
the CD-ROM. I disabled almost everything in the BIOS, certainly the onboard
devices. Here are some highlights from my BIOS:

AI Overclock Tuner [Standard]
Performance Mode [Standard]

Ratio Status:Locked
Ratio Actual Value :15
CPUID Maximum Value Limit [Disabled]
Hyper Threading Technology [Disabled]

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD [Enabled]
Performance Acceleration Mode [Auto]
DRAM Idle Timer [Auto]
DRAM Refresh Rate [Auto]

Graphics Adapter Priority [AGP/PCI]
Graphics Aperture Size [ 64MB]
Spread Spectrum [Disabled]

ICH Delayed Transaction [Disabled]
MPS Revision [1.4]

OnBoard AC'97 Audio [Disabled]
OnBoard Promise Controller [Disabled]
OnBoard IEEE 1394 Controller [Disabled]
OnBoard LAN [Disabled]

Serial Port1 Address [Disabled]
Serial Port2 Address [Disabled]
Parallel Port Address [Disabled]
OnBoard Game/MIDI Port [Disabled]

Plug And Play O/S [Yes]
PCI Latency Timer [64]
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA [No]
Palette Snooping [Disabled]
PCI IDE BusMaster [Disabled]

Suspend Mode [Auto]
Repost Video on S3 Resume [No]
ACPI 2.0 Support [No]
ACPI APIC support [Enabled]
BIOS-->AML ACPI table [Enabled]

I did a clean install of XP Pro with SP1A on a newly formatted NTFS
partition.

This is a list of troubleshooting I did:
-tested both memory sticks extensively with memtest86 and microsoft memtest,
no errors
-tried every possible RAM combination (1 stick, 2 sticks, blue sockets,
black sockets, swapping, etc)
-did a complete Windows Update
-installed the latest drivers for the Geforce and the Intel Chipset
-tried to set the Plug and Play O/S setting to [No] earlier on but got even
more blue screens
-did extensive HDD diagnostics using Powermax, no problems
-entered XP in safe mode, got spontanious reboots when generating heavy load
-did error checks on de HDD using chkdsk /f
-did defragmentation on all partitions
-tried different memory timing settings although there are lots of
combinations possible

The BSOD's occur almost at every boot but not always, that's so frustrating.
Sometimes they occur during action, like defragmentation. It looks like the
chance that they occur increases when the PC's been down long enough to cool
down to 27 degrees celcius, but they also happen when the thing's hot. When
the PC's been down for an hour and I turn it on, it almost certain gives a
BSOD. The message "windows could not start because the following file is
missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system" occurs sometimes
directly after I turn the PC on, but after a reboot it usually starts up
fine, so there's no corruption of the registry.

Info about the PC:
-all devices sit correctly in their sockets, the cabling is correct and the
PC is grounded
-I use a 400W Zalman power supply and the case is a ThermalTake Xaser III so
there's enough cooling
-there are no conflicts in Device Manager, no exclamation marks, no shared
IRQ's
-there's certainly no Virusscan running
-there's enough free space on the system partition
-I use conventional keyboard and mouse
-I don't suffer electro-magnetic disturbance
-I use a legal retail Windows XP Pro

I don't know what to try next except to try someone else's memory sticks or
even graphics card. If anyone has more hints, please let me know, and Yes, I
have googled and searched the Microsoft knowledge base.

I would gladly hear from someone who has the same three devices, the P4C800,
the GeForce FX and the Hyperx PC3500 memory. I would like to know his BIOS
settings.

Thank you very much,
Darth Elvis

Chris Lanier

Two things two try. Get new RAM, get a new power supply.

Darth Elvis said:
[...]

Stach

Darth, I've got 2 of the 3 same components (P4P800 with HyperX PC3500
RAM) and am having similar problems in WindowsXP. I'm not trying to
overclock, in fact I'm being conservative on every performance setting
in the BIOS and still experience lockups. Right now, I leaning towards
buying some different memory to see if the problems go away (return it
if it doesn't)....like you, I need to find the root of the problem and
I'm only guessing that it's the memory.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted with your progress (I will do
the same).

-Stach

Darth Elvis said:
[...]

Doug Allen [MSFT]

Darth,

It may not be that you have "bad" hardware, but possibly some form of
hardware incompatibility. Make sure that your motherboard supports all of
the components that you are using.

It's interesting that you're getting both the STOPs in win32k.sys. Do you
have any remote control software installed like VNC or PCAnywhere?

--
Doug Allen
Windows 2000 MCSE