Browser support for VML

OK. So I used tons of VML (and layers) to create my site. After much
appreciated help from this group and lots of reading, I realize why the site
needs to be fixed. (By the way, I will not "fly solo" next time!) But in all
of my reading, I could not find the answer to some questions that are nagging
at me. In a previous response, it was mentioned that 80% of users are running
IE5 or later. That's not a bad stat to me - but 20% is still a lot of
irritated visitors. Sooo ...does anyone know if and when some of the other
browsers have plans to accomodate VML? How fast are these browsers growing in
popularity? Will the layering and absolute positioning always be a problem?
Could someone look at the site in a newer version of NN (surfinlocal.com) and
tell me what's up? I see some sites that tell visitors what browsers to use
for best viewing and even provide links to download. Bad idea or a possible
option to accomodate at least IE and NN users? Thanks.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

and with NN4 being at .2% and dropping, kinda makes me wonder why anyone is concerned about accomodating nn4 these days.

| See
| www.rxs-enterprises.org/tests/pages/surfinlocal/surfinlocal.htm
|

| Netscape (all versions) amounts to about 2% of browsers. Mozilla accounts
| for nearly 19%, and is increasing.
| See http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
| for the trend.
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| | > OK. So I used tons of VML (and layers) to create my site. After much
| > appreciated help from this group and lots of reading, I realize why the
| > site
| > needs to be fixed. (By the way, I will not "fly solo" next time!) But in
| > all
| > of my reading, I could not find the answer to some questions that are
| > nagging
| > at me. In a previous response, it was mentioned that 80% of users are
| > running
| > IE5 or later. That's not a bad stat to me - but 20% is still a lot of
| > irritated visitors. Sooo ...does anyone know if and when some of the other
| > browsers have plans to accomodate VML? How fast are these browsers growing
| > in
| > popularity? Will the layering and absolute positioning always be a
| > problem?
| > Could someone look at the site in a newer version of NN (surfinlocal.com)
| > and
| > tell me what's up? I see some sites that tell visitors what browsers to
| > use
| > for best viewing and even provide links to download. Bad idea or a
| > possible
| > option to accomodate at least IE and NN users? Thanks.

Thomas A. Rowe

If you have a eCommerce site, then you don't want to turn away any potential buyers, etc.

We should be building sites that really doesn't matter which browser a site visitor may be running!

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

and with NN4 being at .2% and dropping, kinda makes me wonder why anyone is concerned about
accomodating nn4 these days.

| See
| www.rxs-enterprises.org/tests/pages/surfinlocal/surfinlocal.htm
|

| Netscape (all versions) amounts to about 2% of browsers. Mozilla accounts
| for nearly 19%, and is increasing.
| See http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
| for the trend.
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| | > OK. So I used tons of VML (and layers) to create my site. After much
| > appreciated help from this group and lots of reading, I realize why the
| > site
| > needs to be fixed. (By the way, I will not "fly solo" next time!) But in
| > all
| > of my reading, I could not find the answer to some questions that are
| > nagging
| > at me. In a previous response, it was mentioned that 80% of users are
| > running
| > IE5 or later. That's not a bad stat to me - but 20% is still a lot of
| > irritated visitors. Sooo ...does anyone know if and when some of the other
| > browsers have plans to accomodate VML? How fast are these browsers growing
| > in
| > popularity? Will the layering and absolute positioning always be a
| > problem?
| > Could someone look at the site in a newer version of NN (surfinlocal.com)
| > and
| > tell me what's up? I see some sites that tell visitors what browsers to
| > use
| > for best viewing and even provide links to download. Bad idea or a
| > possible
| > option to accomodate at least IE and NN users? Thanks.

Ronx

NN4 accounts for 10% of visitors to some of my pages - thank you, Corporate
Policy. It pays to know your audience.

Stats. can be misleading.

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message and with NN4 being at .2% and dropping, kinda makes me wonder why anyone is
concerned about accomodating nn4 these days.

| See
| www.rxs-enterprises.org/tests/pages/surfinlocal/surfinlocal.htm
|

| Netscape (all versions) amounts to about 2% of browsers. Mozilla accounts
| for nearly 19%, and is increasing.
| See http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
| for the trend.
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| | > OK. So I used tons of VML (and layers) to create my site. After much
| > appreciated help from this group and lots of reading, I realize why the
| > site
| > needs to be fixed. (By the way, I will not "fly solo" next time!) But in
| > all
| > of my reading, I could not find the answer to some questions that are
| > nagging
| > at me. In a previous response, it was mentioned that 80% of users are
| > running
| > IE5 or later. That's not a bad stat to me - but 20% is still a lot of
| > irritated visitors. Sooo ...does anyone know if and when some of the
other
| > browsers have plans to accomodate VML? How fast are these browsers
growing
| > in
| > popularity? Will the layering and absolute positioning always be a
| > problem?
| > Could someone look at the site in a newer version of NN
(surfinlocal.com)
| > and
| > tell me what's up? I see some sites that tell visitors what browsers to
| > use
| > for best viewing and even provide links to download. Bad idea or a
| > possible
| > option to accomodate at least IE and NN users? Thanks.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

that's a lot

| NN4 accounts for 10% of visitors to some of my pages - thank you, Corporate
| Policy. It pays to know your audience.
|
| Stats. can be misleading.
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | and with NN4 being at .2% and dropping, kinda makes me wonder why anyone is
| concerned about accomodating nn4 these days.
|

| | | See
| | www.rxs-enterprises.org/tests/pages/surfinlocal/surfinlocal.htm
| |
| |
| | Netscape (all versions) amounts to about 2% of browsers. Mozilla accounts
| | for nearly 19%, and is increasing.
| | See http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
| | for the trend.
| |