Broadband Speed Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ofcom have released information on the average download speed achieved by UK internet service providers and compared this with the advertised speeds. Because of the increasing difference between these figures, more pressure is being applied which may result in a range of likely speeds being provided to potential customers:

"The regulator's survey shows that the average residential broadband speed in the UK has risen in the last 12 months from 4.1Megabits per second (Mbps) to 5.2Mbps.

The report also reveals the changing nature of UK broadband. Now 65% of UK homes have fixed line broadband and 24% of those users are on services sold as being able to support 10Mbps or more. By contrast, in April 2009 only 8% of homes had signed up for such a service.

Unveiling the figures, Ed Richards, chief executive of Ofcom, said the survey revealed a "growing gap" between what people were sold and the reality of their broadband service."

You can read more at the BBC here.

Attachments

• domain.jpg
    domain.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 573
Reaction score
We get about 4 to 8MB depending on the time of day.
The service from our ISP is good and we really dont download to much anyway.

Did get the heavy sell the other day promising us upto 20MB.
But our exchange is maxed out up to 8MB until another upgrade.
We had to wait 4 years for the last one!!!!!

Reaction score
I had BT on their "up to 10 mpbs unlimited downloads" they sent me the wireless router at the beginning of January I was unable to get on to the Internet so rang up the help line after a call a day reporting that I was not able to connect to the Internet and they doing innumerable line tests they sent out a BT Connect engineer on the 16th Feb he diagnosed a faulty wall socket changed that and we went on line only to find that we had 0.3mbps when I questioned him about the connection speed his answer was that we were over 4km from the nearest exchange and that was all I could get. It has taken me from then till now to get them to agree to not charge for the connection as it was not fit for purpose.

I am on a wireless connection which is more expensive but I am now getting on average 10 mbps so now a happy bunny

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
BT, upto 8Mbps here ... I think :)

Attachments

• btline.PNG
    btline.PNG
    42.4 KB · Views: 203

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm promised 'Up to 8' and I receive, on average, around 6.

Fair dos Mr Fairclough :)

(Now who remembers who said that and on which Television series? Nor many, I'll be bound ;) )

Reaction score
Wasn't that Coronation St Len Fairclough if I remember right, not sure but the name rings a bell.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wasn't that Coronation St Len Fairclough if I remember right, not sure but the name rings a bell.

Correct! As spoken by fat geezer with broad scouse accent Eddie Yates.

You are this week's exclusive prizewinner and your diploma is in the post :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
BT, upto 8Mbps here ... I think :)
Thats a whole lot more than 8mbps. ;)

Your connected at ~16mbps.

With an Attenuation of 17db, you must almost be next to the exchange! (The higher that number the slower you get) With a line that short you could easily have a target SNR of 3db and still be perfectly stable. Would get you to around the ~18mbps mark at a rough guess.

Your on an ADSL2+ Service (ITU-T G992.5).

The only problem you have is BT's 'awesome' BRAS profiling system.... But providing you hold sync at that speed it should level out and stay there.

If you fancy a read - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/index.htm :)

===========================================

My road/area is due to go live with FTTC the end of this month so i am looking into my options as i type....

BT's checker ( http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/st...nity/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Checker.html# ) says i will get this......

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 35.1Mbps and upstream line speed of 9.1Mbps.
:drool:
Nice. :D

Now just gotta pick a provider.... Its looking like it may well be IDNET's Home Plus Fibre or ADSL24's Fibre 30 Pro package....

Hmmmm, choices choices... :user:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, I can throw bricks at the exchange ... maybe I better stop that. :blush:

Yes, I know about BT's "optimal" system. :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My road/area is due to go live with FTTC the end of this month so i am looking into my options as i type....

BT's checker ( http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/st...nity/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Checker.html# ) says i will get this......

:drool:
Nice. :D

Now just gotta pick a provider.... Its looking like it may well be IDNET's Home Plus Fibre or ADSL24's Fibre 30 Pro package....

Hmmmm, choices choices... :user:

Well after the date slipped back to the end of June from the original date of 30th March, it seems i can now get FTTC! :D

So....... Who to choose, IDNET or ADSL24?

Will be a sad day when i get my MAC code off BE though....:cry:

Ask a Question