Broadband NotSpot or SlowSpot ??

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

"So, what would it be like to live in an area where broadband was not available?

There are still people in the UK suffering this very problem, and that's the reason we've launched a broadband notspot site for those who can't get broadband, or those who can only attain very low speeds."

Yup I live in a SlowSpot. You can help all us slow folk by registering above to help apply some pressure to the government to ensure that the promised 2Mbps actually happens.

Ta.

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What sort of speeds are you getting? I remember you posted a link to your speedtest a while ago, but I can't remember what it was.

It will be interesting to see if the price of wireless broadband comes down in price and more 3G transmitters pop up - as they might go down that route to increase availability.

Reaction score
A friend of mine lives in a village in north wales. He suffered from really abismal speeds on dialup because BT refused to update the network to allow digital

They told him after about 10 letters that the need for faster speeds in a village with such a small population was not needed. He petitioned them constantly for 4years and send leaflets out to the village in order for them to write to BT to request an exchange upgrade.

After about 300 letters and phone calls from neighbours and the other people in village they had to do it

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
attachment.php

It was twice as fast at 11.00 o'clock this morning.

laughingsmiley.gif

Attachments

• 2009-05-28_182803.jpg
    2009-05-28_182803.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 146

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TD, Becky's parents lived in a Village similar to the situation you described and they needed to get something like 250 people committing to ADSL connections before they would upgrade the line. Once they number of people was reached they upgraded the village connection within a few months and ~1.5Mbps Broadband was available.

Abarbarian said:
attachment.php

It was twice as fast at 11.00 o'clock this morning.

laughingsmiley.gif

I suppose thats the price to pay for living in such a scenic area ;) Are you quite far from your exchange (you can find out via 17070)?

Reaction score
Yeah it was Cyffylliog near Ruthin

Bt are pretty much set in their ways until they see green. They don't seem interested in customer relations tbh. Funny how they can be so picky with the climate as it is at present

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
3 junction boxes away from the exchange. They have been putting up new poles and I think replacing the cable but don't know if it is a fibre one. Only got 50 folk round here so no chance of pressuring BT. The gov will just have to live up to its promise.
nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8068676.stm

"About three million homes in the UK have broadband speeds of less than two megabits per second (2Mbps) according to research commissioned by the BBC.

The government has promised to provide all homes in the UK with speeds of at least 2Mbps by 2012."

"The Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, charged with delivering the Digital Britain report, has acknowledged that current definitions of broadband are "outmoded" in a world where some countries enjoy speeds of up to 100Mbps.

"Our view is that given the prevailing conditions and usage in the UK 2Mbps is right," said a Berr spokeswoman."

I wonder which countries are getting speeds of 100Mbps ??

;)

Reaction score
Some eastern European countries have 100mbit i believe however ti's still experimental due to costs of laying fibre routes etc.

Virgin media are also planning a widescale installation or 100mbit fibre lines to all subscribed over the coming years. As to 'coming years' your guess is as good as mine. 100mbit lines would mean HD tv, Phone's with face to face chat and access to a multitude of other media related technology's, the internet being the most significant

Of course all price and availability will vary as always

It would be fun but on a negative side a paradise for home hackers and professional thieves. Strict guidelines will have to be adhered too in my opinion

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
In ireland we have the cable version of broadband and i just did a test with TBB. It was a 10MBdownload and it did it at 5.60 Mbps. Is that alright for a cable connection cos i was always wondering how fast things were?
I must check now to see what i pay for.
Back soon
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Actuall i thought i'd just paste this from our suppliers website

Broadband
Basic
Broadband
Value
Broadband
Express
Broadband
Ultra Download Speed 1 Mb 3 Mb 10 Mb 20 Mb Upload Speed 128 Kb 256 Kb 1 Mb 1.5 Mb Webspace 300 MB 300 MB 300 MB 300 MB Usage Limits 5 GB 20 GB * no cap * no cap Email addresses Up to 15 Up to 15 Up to 15 Up to 15 Size of mailboxes provided 50 MB 50 MB 50 MB 50 MB Wireless router € 49.99 € 49.99 FREE FREE Monthly price € 24 (inc. phone) € 22.00 € 32.00 € 42.00Hope ya's find it ineresting. I think i'm on the 20GB usage limit but i'd have to check. I say the 20GB one cos i didnt get a free router but thats only a 3MB download and i just got 5.6.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Summat very wrong or starnge happened there folks.....maybe i'll try trimming thingd down a bit and repost.
Sorry for any confusion caused....but hey confusion's my middle name.
Captain confusion Zed

Reaction score
Cant manage to simply paste that info so...ithink i'm getting 20gb worth of downloads for E49 for 2 months and i think from looking at their site(NTL) i should have a download speed of 10Mbps so i'm gettin shafted by the looks of it....i will keeptesting though.
Can anyone explain why i couldnt copy and paste into the reply box :confused:

I'm off to World at war now...toodle -ooh
Zzzzz

Ask a Question