Excel Borders not printing in Excel

Reaction score
I can format cells on an Excel 2013 worksheet with borders. The borders appear in print preview but do not print out.What do I need to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
On the Page Layout tab, in the Sheet Options group, select the Print check box under Gridlines

Reaction score
Thanks, Malcolm, but ticking the box did not work. I had to go further into the Page Setup dialog to ensure printing was not set to draft. Now it works. Lesson learnt.

Reaction score
Just when I thought my problem was solved I tried to add coloured text to the bordered cells but, of course if I am printing in black and white I cannot print coloured text. If I uncheck print in black and white my coloured text is printed but without borders so I still need more HELP!

Reaction score
Try printing after this this:
Microsoft Office Button | Excel Options | Advanced | Display options for this worksheet | tick Show gridlines. In the Gridline color box, click the color you want.

You may well find useful guidance in the Excel Help files.

Reaction score
Try printing after this this:
Microsoft Office Button | Excel Options | Advanced | Display options for this worksheet | tick Show gridlines. In the Gridline color box, click the color you want.

You may well find useful guidance in the Excel Help files.
I will try this option now Malcolm, but does it allow me only to print coloured cells or coloured text in black cells which I had been trying to do. I will also try Excel help again. Your instructions have been more helpful so far

Reaction score
I do not have in-depth knowledge of the available options to meet your expecations and do not know if they are attainable? You need someone with a far greater knowledge than me to answer the question you ask in your latest message. Also, as I no longer use a colour printer, I am unable to test for the condition you describe. All I can tell you is that text set to white doesn't print in my b/w printer.

BTW - I have Excel 2007 and it is, along with the other applications in MS Office Enterprise 2007, adequate for my modest needs. Which version of Excel are you using? Some settings are different in different versions of the MS Office Suites

Reaction score
I do not have in-depth knowledge of the available options to meet your expecations and do not know if they are attainable? You need someone with a far greater knowledge than me to answer the question you ask in your latest message. Also, as I no longer use a colour printer, I am unable to test for the condition you describe. All I can tell you is that text set to white doesn't print in my b/w printer.

BTW - I have Excel 2007 and it is, along with the other applications in MS Office Enterprise 2007, adequate for my modest needs. Which version of Excel are you using? Some settings are different in different versions of the MS Office Suites
I am using Excel 2013 which was loaded on the laptop at purchase and wonder if my difficulty may be originating here as the excel icon is not coloured but is black and not detailed like your example. I will have to go back to Dell and see what they can do.

Ask a Question