Boot to Desktop Impossible Without selecting AccountName First

tirebldr

During one of the Windows Updates my XP with SR-1 bootup sequence changed
and I cannot change it back, and am totally frustrated.

During bootup XP now insists I click on my account name (& only I use this
computer) in order to continue onto the desktop. I can go into User Accounts
and uncheck Use the Welcome Screen, but then I am prompted to enter a
password (or press enter) to continue my bootups.

I would desperately like to eliminate this bootup step so I can bootup
strait to my desktop as I once did before brother Bill changed things. Can
someone tell me how please!!!

Thanks Loads for your help
And if you could contact me direct with this help I'd even appreciate it
further.

Art (e-mail address removed)

--
Art In Minnesota (e-mail address removed)
In Oklahoma it's (e-mail address removed)

tirebldr

No password associated. As mentioned earlier it then wants you to hit the
enter key to continue on.

art

Parish

tirebldr said:
No password associated. As mentioned earlier it then wants you to hit the
enter key to continue on.

Sounds like you had Auto-logon enabled. Don't know how you set it up
originally but you can do it with TweakUI in the XP Power Toys

http://tinyurl.com/73pj

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You can use the following article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315231
The easier method(no registry editing) is at the bottom of the article

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: Parish <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: Re: Boot to Desktop Impossible Without selecting AccountName
First
| Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:02:02 +0000
|
| tirebldr wrote:
|
| > No password associated. As mentioned earlier it then wants you to hit
the
| > enter key to continue on.
| >

| Sounds like you had Auto-logon enabled. Don't know how you set it up
| originally but you can do it with TweakUI in the XP Power Toys
|
| http://tinyurl.com/73pj
|
| > art

| > see
| >>
| >> --
| >> Paras
| >> Your One Stop Entertainment Guide - http://www.paras.2ya.com/

| > changed

| > this
| >> Accounts

| > Can

Kelly

Hi,

This was due to the Net Framework update, it adds another user. To get back
to where you were:

1. Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2 and press ok.

2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To
Use This Computer check box and then click OK.

3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name
and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you start
your computer.

Tip:

Add Control UserPasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)