Boot problem

shafiee

I have a hard disk which had two partitions and configured for a dual boot.
When I formatted the original partition which had the operating system, I'm
not able to boot from the second partition. Is there a way to make the
computer boot from the second partition? Using FIXMBR command in the
recovery consol maybe?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
1) the second partition has to be a primary partition before this can work.
If it's not a primary you cannot boot to it directly.
2) you have to set the second partition as active. ( only primary
partitions can be set as active)
In recovery console you need to:
3) you need to run fixboot to write the bootsector
4) you need to run fixmbr to write the master boot record
5) you need to copy NTLDR and Ntdetect to the root of the drive
6) You need to run bootcfg /rebuild to create a new boot.ini file. ( this
option is only available in recovery console)
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "shafiee" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Boot problem