Book:Point & Click Linux! "Your Guide to Trouble-Free Computing"

Reaction score
This is a book review I wrote about a book that I feel is excellent for anyone new to Linux that thinks Linux is "too hard". I originally posted it here: http://www.usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5093 but thought you folks might find it useful as well. ;)

crouse said:
pclinux.jpg

USA Linux Users Group
Book Review
Reviewer: Crouse

Book:point & Click Linux! "Your Guide to Trouble-Free Computing"
By Robin Miller

Publisher: Prentice Hall
Book Website: http://www.pointandclicklinux.com
Prentice Hall Website: http://www.phptr.com/title/0131488724
Suggested Retail $29.99
ISBN: 0-13-148872-4
Published: Nov 9, 2004 -- Copyright 2005
Dimensions 7x9-1/4
Pages: 288

I'm not so sure that this book is as much of a review, as it is so much my own personal endorsement. The book isn't real thick, and this review isn't real long, but if you ever wanted to know where to start in your quest to learn Linux, read on.

First off, this book is designed for those new to Linux. Not for guru's... there are already plenty of books for you guys! This one is for people wanting to dip their toes in the Linux water. Lately there have been a few books that have catered to the "I don't even know what Linux is" group, but this is probably the best I've read to date. Almost a pictoral book, it uses images and pictures on almost every page to help the reader know what they should look for. Not only does the book have an easy to read format with visual guides galore, it also includes a DVD that has step by step directions that you can watch on your dvd player. Besides the DVD and the book, you also get a "Simply Mepis" Live Linux cd. This cd will allow you to run Mepis virtually, without installing Linux. This gives you a chance to play with Linux without messing up your current system at all. Once your ready to try installing Linux to the hard drive, it's a simple matter of a few mouseclicks and it installs. Step by step instructions for doing this are in the book.

There are plenty of in-depth books on command line stuff, and programming linux, and system administration and other "scary" stuff like that, this book isn't like that. Very simple, straightforward and practical. Step by Step explanations that are clear and easy to follow. With this book, and enclosed install cd and tutorial dvd, I do believe it's the "Linux on the Desktop" realized at last. So simple, even grandma can do it, or in this case, my youngest daughter. I installed this for my daughter on her new computer for Christmas, and she loves it. I gave her the book too. If you've EVER wanted to try Linux but were afraid it was too complicated, buy this book. Quite possibly the best investment for your computer you will ever make.

You can thank me later. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the review.

How much depth does this book go into in installaling new programs? I find that's what new comers, and sometimes even I, mostly struggle with.

Having to use the command line and manually set up shortcuts is a far departure from the windows click-next-till-it's-in-the-start-menu style.

Reaction score
It goes into pretty good detail as far as installing programs. Although, believe it or not, installing 99% of the programs is about as easy as opening a terminal window (Xterm, Eterm,Aterm,Konsole) and simply as root typing in

apt-get install PROGRAMNAME

pretty simple ;)

Ask a Question