    Periodically I get a blue screen - but it goes by so fast that I can't read
    much of it. Is it stored in a dump file someplace?

    John

    John, Sep 14, 2003

  2. John

    Dan Seur Guest

    John - navigate to
    Start/Settings/ControlPanel/System/Advanced(Tab)/StartupRecovery
    and uncheck Automatically Reboot.
    The BSOD will remain on the screen next time this happens.

    The BSOD may not show the info you need if it's a hardware problem (like
    a bad RAM chip or a loose or bad cable or a failing mainboard component)
    or a software problem that instantly kills the OS.

    Look also in Device Manager,in
    ControlPanel/AdminTools/ComputerManagement
    for any oddities, and of course also in Event Viewer.

    Dan Seur, Sep 14, 2003

  3. John

    Danny W Guest

    Yes, the path to the file is set in:
    CONTROL PANEL > ADVANCED > STARTUP + RECOVERY

    the default location is %SYSTEMROOT%\Minidump

    Danny W, Sep 14, 2003
  4. John

    John Guest

    OK - thanks to both of you. Found the dump file and also how to set it to
    not auto reboot. Not sure how to read the dump file though - but next BSOD
    I should be able to see the offending component.

    John

    John, Sep 15, 2003