Blocked hyperlinks in Outlook 2007

jmedd

Outlook 2007 SP1

When a user receieves an email with a link to a pdf file on the Intranet
site, e.g.

http://intranet/document.pdf

they receive a warning "Microsoft Office has identified a potential security
concern. This location may be unsafe.

blocked::http://intranet/document.pdf

Hyperlinks can be harmful to your computer......

Do you want to continue?"

If they choose Yes to continue they are either given an error 'Access is
denied' or 'The parameter is incorrect' message.

Clicking on links to other types of documents (xls, zip) and external
websites such as www.microsoft.com work fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Emily Lin

Hi,

It is mostly related to the hyperlink warnings in Outlook 2007. Follow the steps below to resolve the issue.

#1 Disable hyperlink warnings for 2007 Office programs
============
To disable the hyperlink warnings in 2007 Office programs when an http:// address or an ftp:// address is used, you must create a new
registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open dialog box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, locate one of the following registry subkeys:
o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common
o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common
Note You only have to modify one of these registry subkeys. You do not have to modify both of them.
4. Click the registry subkey, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click Key.
5. Type Security, and then press ENTER to name the key.
6. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
7. Type DisableHyperlinkWarning, and then press ENTER to name the entry.
8. In the right pane, right-click DisableHyperlinkWarning, and then click Modify.
9. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, click Decimal, and then type 1 under Value data.

Note A value of 0 enables the hyperlink warning message. A value of 1 disables the hyperlink warning message.
10. Click OK.
11. Exit Registry Editor.

If you still receive a warning message

You may still receive a warning message from Microsoft Windows. If you continue to receive a warning message after you follow the
steps above, use one of the following methods to resolve the issue.

#2 Turn off the "Confirm open after download" option for the file type that you are trying to open
================
1. Double-click My Computer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. On the File Types tab, select the appropriate file name extension (for example, WMV) in the Registered File Types box, and then
click Advanced.
4. Click to clear the Confirm open after download check box, and then click OK.
5. In the Folder Options dialog box, click Close.

#3 Modify the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\EditFlags registry subkey
==================
Use this method if the warning message affects multiple computers.

To disable the warning message, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\EditFlags
3. Click EditFlags, and then click Rename on the Edit menu.
4. Type OldEditFlags, and then press ENTER.
5. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD value.
6. Type EditFlags, and then press ENTER.
7. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
8. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, click Hexadecimal under Base.
9. Type 10000, and then click OK.

For detail information, refer to the following KB article.

How to disable hyperlink warning messages in 2007 Office programs
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=925757

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

jmedd

Thanks for the response.

I already tried the suggestion in that article, which does correctly
suppress the hyperlink warning, but the attachment still does not open. You
receive the same errors, 'Access is denied' or 'The parameter is incorrect'
message.

jmedd said:
Thanks for the response.

I already tried the suggestion in that article, which does correctly
suppress the hyperlink warning, but the attachment still does not open. You
receive the same errors, 'Access is denied' or 'The parameter is incorrect'
message.

Hi there. We experienced the same issue a while ago, and actually
obtained a HotFix from Microsoft.

The file was called "office-kb941275-fullfile-x86-glb.exe" so perhaps
you can get the same from MS.

Ho[e this helps...

Ha®®y

(e-mail address removed)

jmedd

Thanks for the info.

I checked and KB941275 is publically not available at the moment because
either it is in draft or being re-written. Since this is not a major issue
for us I'll wait for it to become available.

jmedd said:
Thanks for the response.

I already tried the suggestion in that article, which does correctly
suppress the hyperlink warning, but the attachment still does not open. You
receive the same errors, 'Access is denied' or 'The parameter is incorrect'
message.

Hi there. We experienced the same issue a while ago, and actually
obtained a HotFix from Microsoft.

The file was called "office-kb941275-fullfile-x86-glb.exe" so perhaps
you can get the same from MS.

Ho[e this helps...

Ha®®y

(e-mail address removed)

No worries.

It's definitely the one as we had the exact same symptoms. Annoying,
but not (as you say) a major issue...

:

From: =?Utf-8?B?am1lZGQ=?= <[email protected]>
Subject: Blocked hyperlinks in Outlook 2007
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 04:35:00 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

[...]

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the hotfix - 941275 may fix this issue. However, it is not publicly available and it is not fully tested. When the hotfix is published,
you can use the "hotfix online submission" service to request this hotfix 941275:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/CUHotFix_LandingPage_Request.

After completing the relevant info (such as KB ID, product and language) and providing a valid email address, please click the Submit
button. A Microsoft professional will respond to you via e-mail within 8 business hours.

In case the product hasn't been covered yet or you encounter any difficulties when accessing that web site, please don't hesitate to
drop me an update in newsgroup and I will respond.

If the requested hotfix does not resolve the issue, we can continue to work on it here in the newsgroup.

If you have any feedback on this hotfix online submission service, we'd appreciate your comments to the partner feedback newsgroup:

For NNTP readers: Microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback
For web interface: Partner Feedback

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

Ed Boyd (seaboyd

Emily...

When I use your hyperlink to request the Hot Fix, I get a language question
page...pick English...that takes me to another page that says procedures have
changed and one must go to the applicable KB page and apply online request
from that page. Problem...MS can't find KB941275?? So I try kb310049, just to
get any kb page to request the hot fix. I must be pretty stupid but I don't
see anywhere one requests for the hot fix. I even did a search for the actual
hot fix file itself... "office-kb941275-fullfile-x86-glb.exe" and again MS
search can't find! #$#@@$%#!

Emily Lin

Hi,

Sorry for not describing it in details.

The hotfix 941275 is not published at present. So, it is normal that we cannot find it on the hotfix
request website. If you would like to test this hotfix now, please let me know your email address. My
email address is (e-mail address removed).

Note: The hotfix is not publised and full tested.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

From: =?Utf-8?B?RWQgQm95ZCAoc2VhYm95ZEBjb21jYXN0Lm5ldCk=?=

Emily Lin

Hi ,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free
to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance. :)

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

Brian Tillman

Dave said:
Here is the FIX here. I havent tested it, but it is the same file
that is in mentioned above.

just download as a free user and you will get the link in one shot.
Hope it works

http://rapidshare.com/files/135883277/office-kb941275-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

Why would I trust an executable purported to be a hotfix delivered by a
source other than Microsoft? I'd have to be a fool to run something like
this, especially since it is available directly from Microsoft. On top of
that, this hotfix was contained in a Microsoft update (KB946983) that your
Windows system should have discovered with Windows Update back in March. It
shouldn't need to be installed separately at all.

Joined
Sep 15, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Emily Lin,

I followed the processes you have listed to edit the registry and I am still getting the error access denied when attempting to open a xls hyperlink. Any thoughts?