Blaster and ms03.26

craig

Ok, I have been working with and cussing this computer for
two days now. I did go on the Microsoft site and found
the fix for the blaster. It then told me I needed at
least the service pack 2 to perform the fix. I
found the service packs and downloaded 2. Then, when I
tried to run the fix, it said, "This update requires
ms03.26 to be installed" So I went back and did a 2 hour
download of service pack three thinking that the
ms03.26 would be in it. Then I tired to run the fix and
it still says "This update requires ms03.26 to be
installed" so I did a search on the site for ms03.26 and
it said it was outdated and to do a search on the
site for critical updates. It came up with 34 or so that
I needed to do that would take several days to download!
So, I found one large one among them that said "Cumulative
update for service pack 3 2.1mg) so I did that one but I
still get the message "This update requires ms03.26
to be installed" At this point, I am going the turn the
machine off until tomorrow. I am praying for the second
coming tonight so I do not have to face it in the
morning! What would you suggest as it seems that
I need this ms03.26 but the site does not want me to use
it.
Thanks for all your help.

Any ideas on this?
..

Dave Patrick

These may help.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826955

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Ok, I have been working with and cussing this computer for
| two days now. I did go on the Microsoft site and found
| the fix for the blaster. It then told me I needed at
| least the service pack 2 to perform the fix. I
| found the service packs and downloaded 2. Then, when I
| tried to run the fix, it said, "This update requires
| ms03.26 to be installed" So I went back and did a 2 hour
| download of service pack three thinking that the
| ms03.26 would be in it. Then I tired to run the fix and
| it still says "This update requires ms03.26 to be
| installed" so I did a search on the site for ms03.26 and
| it said it was outdated and to do a search on the
| site for critical updates. It came up with 34 or so that
| I needed to do that would take several days to download!
| So, I found one large one among them that said "Cumulative
| update for service pack 3 2.1mg) so I did that one but I
| still get the message "This update requires ms03.26
| to be installed" At this point, I am going the turn the
| machine off until tomorrow. I am praying for the second
| coming tonight so I do not have to face it in the
| morning! What would you suggest as it seems that
| I need this ms03.26 but the site does not want me to use
| it.
| Thanks for all your help.
|
| Any ideas on this?
| .

Craig

Dave,

Thanks for the information. The 1st URL suggest that the
patch be dl, however, the patch will not install unless
the ms03.26 is present. I suppose the ms03.26 is in one
of the files that were not downloaded. Would you happen
to know which of the updates contains the file ms03.26?
That file would be downloaded and I would believe that the
patch would work then.

Thanks for all your help.

Craig

Steve N.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp

Hope that takes you where you need to go.

Don't stop praying, it never hurts ;)

Steve
Dave,

Thanks for the information. The 1st URL suggest that the
patch be dl, however, the patch will not install unless
the ms03.26 is present. I suppose the ms03.26 is in one
of the files that were not downloaded. Would you happen
to know which of the updates contains the file ms03.26?
That file would be downloaded and I would believe that the
patch would work then.

Thanks for all your help.

Craig

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
newsgroup.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Ok, I have been working with and cussing this computer
for

| two days now. I did go on the Microsoft site and found
| the fix for the blaster. It then told me I needed at
| least the service pack 2 to perform the fix. I
| found the service packs and downloaded 2. Then, when I
| tried to run the fix, it said, "This update requires
| ms03.26 to be installed" So I went back and did a 2 hour
| download of service pack three thinking that the
| ms03.26 would be in it. Then I tired to run the fix and
| it still says "This update requires ms03.26 to be
| installed" so I did a search on the site for ms03.26 and
| it said it was outdated and to do a search on the
| site for critical updates. It came up with 34 or so
that

| I needed to do that would take several days to download!
| So, I found one large one among them that

said "Cumulative
| update for service pack 3 2.1mg) so I did that one but I
| still get the message "This update requires ms03.26
| to be installed" At this point, I am going the turn the
| machine off until tomorrow. I am praying for the second
| coming tonight so I do not have to face it in the
| morning! What would you suggest as it seems that
| I need this ms03.26 but the site does not want me to use
| it.
| Thanks for all your help.
|
| Any ideas on this?
| .

.

Dave Patrick

Try the second link.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826955

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Dave,
|
| Thanks for the information. The 1st URL suggest that the
| patch be dl, however, the patch will not install unless
| the ms03.26 is present. I suppose the ms03.26 is in one
| of the files that were not downloaded. Would you happen
| to know which of the updates contains the file ms03.26?
| That file would be downloaded and I would believe that the
| patch would work then.
|
| Thanks for all your help.
|
| Craig

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "craig" <[email protected]>
Subject: Blaster and ms03.26
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 07:43:54 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

[...]

---

Craig,

You may want to take a look at the article below.

823980 - MS03-026: Buffer Overrun in RPC May Allow Code Execution
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;823980

This article includes links for downloading the update but it also tells us this update was replaced with update MS03-039.
The article below talks about MS03-039 and contains links for downloading it.

824146 - MS03-039: A Buffer Overrun in RPCSS Could Allow an Attacker to Run Malicious Programs

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.