Blasphemy?

Reaction score
This last weekend I built a PC (+ 22" TFT) for someone who wanted to spend under £700 for a PC that would have high quality components but would not be for gaming...so vid was not going to be a major cost. I did just that and he seems perfectly satisfied with the rig (so am I). BUT...

Then I looked at the latest Apple computers at around £800 and found myself thinking seriously that for their build and design quality, plus the fact they can now run Mac and Microsoft operating systems, and they are far less buggy than PC's....bloody hell, they are a better buy!:confused: Did I advise the guy wrong???:blush:

I am a PC enthusiast for games and their flexibility in terms of components...but I also have an iBook, iPOD etc and rate highly their advantages in these areas...but what do you all think?

Reaction score
1. Macs are not as future proof as pc's
2. Ipods are poo
3. no i dont think u ill advised him at all

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the desktops it depends on what someone is after, i'm a PC man but for an average spec system as you said they are a pretty decent deal IMO compared to what you can piece together

laptops i prefer mac's outright, they are more compact, have a decent battery and a decent spec

but yeah, if someone asks me for a reccomendation for an off the shelf system i'll always say a mac

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
1nteger: I feel for you, I really do, lol

Yes, I know it goes against the grain, but, ok, here's the rub - this is what I honestly think:

If you're not into gaming the latest range of Macs are:

1) Good value for money
2) Do everything office and media wise better than Vista/XP/Maybe even Linux
3) Look absolutely fabulous
4) Are easy to use
5) Are less prone to viruses
6) Integrate well with an I-Pod (which do have their shortcomings but still look and feel great and still have, imo, the best sound quality of any portable mp3 player)
7) Are less susceptible to software problems as experienced in any Windows OS

Hell, if it wasn't for Gaming I'd consider a Mac and/or Linux. probably a Mac, cos they easier to use than Linux.

And if you really insist on using Windows, latest Macs with Intel CPU's will run it for you.

And let's not forget, there are actually quite a few Games that run on an Apple machine, trouble is they cost at least twice as much to buy as their Windows equivalents.

If Apple sorted that one out, I'd seriously be tempted to make the switch.

There ya go, betcha thought I'd never say that ;)

But one has to be honest, does one not?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
speaking of, who makes the graphics accelerators for macs?

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
In laptop terms I'd definitely go with the Mac.
I've got three Lappys
A G4 ibook
A HP Toshiba running XP pro
& A compac presario dual core running vist Basic (this one being the reason I'm really in the financial **** at the moment :blush: )

Disapointingly I have found that the dual core lappy only runs as fast as my ibook :( Sometimes slower :eek: & the ibook's over 3 years old by now so pretty outdated!
& the XP wont run some games despite the fact that it's got all the specs
If it was for games I'd say the XP (presuming that it runs properly on other peoples computers) since a lot of the manufacturers haven't caught up with vista yet (really like vista by the way... blasphemy again :blush: ) & the Mac versions are ridiculously & exploitively priced.
But for anything else I'd go with the Mac, if you really want to run windows as well then just split the Hard drive. My ex has done that on his & it runs windows as well as it does on my XP machine now.
reckon I might get him to do that on mine once I've finished cleaning all the crap out of it.
One thing... If he's wanting to run MSN a lot then the mac version doesn't have half the features that the windows one has.
Ironically however, I like the way MS office runs on the mac much better than the newer vista version.
& having textedit instantly available & with all the features needed for a basic word document is something I miss muchly on both XP & vista. Having to open word when all I want is a quick cut & paste or to run off a letter is annoying.
Never used open office so can't say anything about that in comparison sorry.
Also prefer iphoto to either the Kodak or Cannon programs, much more straightforward & with all the necessary features.

Reaction score
Thanks for that feedback - I now feel that my positive view of Apple computers (I have 2 iBooks and 2 iPods!) is not misplaced. For games and gamers, PC's are it, but for anyone not interested in games, I would reccommend many of the Apple range atm.

Ask a Question