Blank Window in Search files and Folders Windows XP

Lil

I am my wits end. When I start\search\files and folders, XP returns
blank screen. When I right click my computer\manage\services an
applications\services the extended tab is blank with the upper lef
corner showing the cogs icon. I cannot see my system restore point
because the screen is blank. I cannot use all radio buttons in Window
IE. I have cleaned this machine many times with the help of the GEE
squad. this seems to have started when I added McAfee to my machine.
Short of re installing, what can be done? I would prefer not to g
through the reinstall because Service Pack 2 gives me grief with"acces
deniederror. I know just enough to think it is a scripting, VBA or jav
error. I am open to suggestions.

Thank you

Ron Martell

Lil said:
I am my wits end. When I start\search\files and folders, XP returns a
blank screen. When I right click my computer\manage\services and
applications\services the extended tab is blank with the upper left
corner showing the cogs icon. I cannot see my system restore points
because the screen is blank. I cannot use all radio buttons in Windows
IE. I have cleaned this machine many times with the help of the GEEK
squad. this seems to have started when I added McAfee to my machine.
Short of re installing, what can be done? I would prefer not to go
through the reinstall because Service Pack 2 gives me grief with"access
deniederror. I know just enough to think it is a scripting, VBA or java
error. I am open to suggestions.

Thank you.

How long since you installed McAfee?

If it is less than 10 days then use System Restore and choose the most
recent restore point that is prior to when you installed McAfee.

If it is more than 10 days then try uninstalling McAfee; then open a
Command Prompt window (Start - Run - CMD) and enter the following
command:

SFC /SCANNOW

(you may be asked to insert your Windows XP installation CD)

And see if that will resolve the issue.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Lil

I ran the scan but it did not correct the problem. Any other ideas?
still have blank windows nor can I see my restore points because th
window is blank.

Thanks for you help

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Lil

Ramesh said:
System Restore opens to a blank window?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srblank.htm

User Accounts applet is completely blank:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/useracc.htm

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Lil" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I ran the scan but it did not correct the problem. Any other ideas? I
still have blank windows nor can I see my restore points because the
window is blank.

Thanks for you help.
Thank you Ramesh,
I used your suggestion to for the Dlls, unfortunately, I got the
following errror when I ran the jscript: Dll RegisterServer in
jscript.dll failed. Return Code 0X80004005. I check MSN support and
ran the suggested Regsvr32 urlmon.dll as well. I still have blank
search window, can use some radio buttons in IE, and cannot see the
extended tab in services.

I sure hope you have other suggestions.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Lil,

0X80004005 denotes "Access denied". You'll have to fix the registry
permissions (for the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive)

See: http://www.google.com/search?q=subinacl+reset+registry

Once the Permissions are correctly set, re-register the jscript.dll module.

Ramesh said:
[...]

I followed your instructions, however, I do not have the ability to
edit the HKEY files. I created a file c:\Program Files\Windows
Resource Kits\Tools, within the file I find subincal.exe, subinacl.htm,
toodownloadreadme.htm. I am sure that I am not following the steps
correctly. Do you by any chance know what I am missing?

Thank you,
Lil

Ramesh, MS-MVP Wrote:-
[...]

Try here, Lil: