bios start up screen hang

Reaction score
hi
newbie here and have a problem.

i installed vista x64 on Hd and all was fine but couldnt get online,so decided to partion off another section of my drive 2 install xp64 so could get the router working as wouldnt work at all with vista x64.
but after 2 failed instalations everytime i boot pc it hangs at bios start up screen.
it checks HD then DVD then just hangs, if i press F2 2 get into bios it says entering setup,but still hangs.
cleared cmos,that didnt work, so thought i try a spare Hd lying around and thats fine installed win xp64,but i need to access my old hard drive 2 get important documents off there, the trouble is if i connect up the other HD(one with vista on) as a slave to the other HD it still hangs at bios start up screen

any ideas or how can i get the docs on the old HD(wiv vista on) that i partitioned off as back up

amd athlon xp4200
asrock 939 sata2 mobo
ati radeon x800xl agp card
1gb pc3200 geil ram
160gb seagate HD(now defunked with vista on and my back ups,lol)
40gb maxtor
windo xp64

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ouch ...

You went about it at the wrong angle ... if you want to 'dual-boot' you must first install the older OS first, then the newer version.

XP & Vista differ in their Boot process, just to add more confusion ... in't MS great. ;)

OK, if you have a "proper" Vista DVD then you should be able to "repair" the Vista install.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

... just make sure you use English UK, as we know English US does not exist. :D

What version of Vista is this?

oh, welcome to the forums. :wave:

user.gif

Reaction score
hi
cheers 4 welcome.
tis a dell version i borrowed off a mate 2 try and c if i liked it or not, well deffo not now.
but cant get past the start up screen it wont load any cd either. as said all i get is checks the hard drive then checks cd then hangs.
so really as i cant do anything with this HD now is there anyway i can get access to that HD as even with the new hard drive if i try 2 connect the older defunked one it goes back to hanging at start up screen even if it isnt the master drive

got me totally baffled,lol

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, I see ... said the blind man

'Tis a little strange, you should be able to 'boot' into the BIOS, unless the HD is faulty or incorrectly installed.

Gawd knows what Dell do to these CD/DVDs but you should not have "borrowed" the DVD ... unless you have the exact same PC. Even then, you are breaking MS law. ;)

On re-reading I see you reset the CMOS/BIOS ... did you recheck that the BIOS is now set correctly for your devices, HD/CDs etc: ?

Can you give me the exact Asscrock MB you have ... helps if you have the manual. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
its asrock 939 sata2
but vista worked fine was only wen i tried to install xp64 on a partition it went tits up,lol
and what i find even more werid is that even if i use the 40gb HD(wich is ok) as master and have the defunked HD as slave i shud be surely able 2 boot into windows as the old HD shudnt have any effect on this
wallbash.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
welsh-andy said:
its asrock 939 sata2
but vista worked fine was only wen i tried to install xp64 on a partition it went tits up,lol
and what i find even more werid is that even if i use the 40gb HD(wich is ok) as master and have the defunked HD as slave i shud be surely able 2 boot into windows as the old HD shudnt have any effect on this
wallbash.gif
Well, yes, if things were 'normal' but ...

:user:

Reaction score
i managed to sort it. as said even if connected as slave it would still hang. so i left ide cable out,got into bios,re connected ide cable found the drive and set it to Not Installed. Rebooted,got into windows and it found my HD so just spent last hour backing up the back up partition,so saved all me kids pics as well as music etc etc.:thumb:
deleted windows of the HD so gona try reboot and re install xp64 sod vista 64 2 many driver probsm,lol

Ask a Question