XP hangs

Reaction score
Installed a new motherboard in my compaq evo n1015v. Purchased off ebay and seller confirmed tested board and it is ok. Laptop starts the boot up process but hangs when loading xp. I have tried to resolve this by
(i) Re installing drivers/ O/s using original disk supplied
drivers installed but again hangs when at xp loading screen.

(ii) flashed bios with latest available

(iii) boot in safemode and the system hangs after loading driver atisgkaf.sys

Please advise what other action can be taken

Reaction score
Hanging XP

Thanks for fast response.
Check the links that you provided and I have eliminate the registery issue.
because not receiving any of the message indicated.

the second link doesn't work however.

I emailed the motherboard provider and they are suggesting it could be an hardware failure. suggesting memory or harddisk. I think that I can eliminate the hard disk because i purchase a brand new hard disk because I thought this was my initial problem before a technican diagnosed a motherboard failure. Hence installing the new motherboard.

Any other suggestions
Cheers

Reaction score
thanks for link, I create a boot disk and gain access to machine. Ran scandisk surface scan and deep scan but no bad sector detected.
I have attempted ro install win 98 on machine with intention of then load XP. installing ok until it comes to detecting non plug and play hardware.
and then it processes 24% then hangs which suggest that it is an hardware problem.

(i) registery option should be eliminated because win 98 should remove NTFS file system
(ii) Harddisk appears to be ok per scan disk, and also brand new harddisk installed because before replace motherboard I thought this was the source of problem, so purchase a brand new hard disk.

(iii) floppy operating ok, read and writes.

Could it be the motherboard ?
how can I tell ?

Cheers mate

Reaction score
Yes , I have tried memtest and this suggest that the memory is ok.
Currently looking for hardware diagnostic tools, any freebies that you can suggest would be appreciated

Reaction score
I would remove and reseat your drives' Power and IDE connectors.
Also, reseat your RAM - If you have different brands of memory SODIMMS, then test with only 1 SODIMM fitted.
(Might be worth trying this, even if they are the same brand)

Ask a Question