Big problem after sysprep

Reaction score
Hi,
My question concerns the SYSPREP command used in Windows XP.
Couple of months back my brother bought a copy of the Windows XP Professional [Generic OEM] with SP2. After he installed it he ran sysprep using the command : sysprep -reseal -mini
Now he is moving to another city so he formatted the HDD and tried to install the VLK (corp.) version of XP we were using earlier. However, the corp version won't install and gives errors :

setup could not install drivers for diskdrive

setup could not install drivers for CD-Rom

Please contact your hardware vendor.

But when he tried installing the OEM version again it installed everything just fine.

The XP Pro Corp. CD was working perfectly earlier and even now installs fine on another PC so the CD is not the issue.

He also did a complete format of the c: partition, but the Corp. cd still gives same errors. I contacted our IT deptt. and got a replacement cd but still no luck.

Does sysprep modify the BIOS ? or the hdd ? (it certainly did something)

He had not removed the earlier XP corp installation when he installed the XP OEM and ran sysprep.

Could that be the problem ?

What needs to be done so that he can re-install XP corp.? This is essential as he cannot use the corp. version outside the campus so he will HAVE TO USE the OEM XP.

Complete system specs are given below:
1. ASUS CUBX-E mainboard w/Intel P-III 750Mhz + Windows XP Pro with SP2 [Generic OEM]
2. 256MB PC-133 SDRAM
3. 80GB Hitachi ATA-100 HDD (connected to onboard Promise ATA-100 controller) [has XP]
4. 8.4GB Maxtor HDD (connected as secondary master) [NO OS Installed]
5. LG 52x CDwriter-8572B (connected as secondary slave)
6. ATI Radeon 7000 64MB AGP card
7. Yamaha souncard (PCI slot 2; IRQ 10)
8. Realtek 8139D based Lan card 10/100 (PCI slot 3; IRQ 12)
9. Pctel modem (PCI slot 4; IRQ 5)
10. Onboard Promise ATA-100 controller (IRQ 10)
11. USB enabled (IRQ 5)

PCI slots 1 & 5 are free. No ISA cards used.

Lazzio Scarpa

Ask a Question