Problems with onboard NIC and sysprep mini setup

Kris Dowse

We use Deploy Centre for the deployment of finalised XP
images across our school network, however I have run into
a problem when running the mini system portion of sysprep.

One of our suites of computers have onboard Intel Pro 100
VE network cards - the drivers for which are for some
reason lost after the sysprep mini setup is completed.

When the machine logs in, I receive a prompt
that "Windows has found new Hardware" and that it is
recommended that it installs the software automatically.
When "Next" is selected the NIC is installed. This
however, is causing me major problems as all my post
sysprep scripts and batch files rely on accessing the NIC
mac address, not possible until the NIC is installed.

I do not have this problem on any of the other suites of
computer around the school, which run separate PCI Intel
network cards.

I have put the drivers in a folder called Pro100\WinXP32
within the sysprep folder and modified the sysprep.inf
file as shown below.

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath=\Sysprep\Pro100\WinXP32
OemSkipEula=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
Filesystem=LeaveAlone
OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No

None of my attempts have been successful and it is vital
that I am able to automatically install these drivers.

As a final point I have also tried sysprep -mini -pnp -
reseal -quiet but this appears to corrupt the OS as the
Control Panel and System become completely unavailable
and cause the machine to crash.

Is there a way to add hardware from a script file - I
have some certified drivers??? Why is the card not
installed as part of the mini setup?? Can I force XP to
do an auto hardware install without prompting the user
for action???

Please help,

Kris Dowse

Scott McArthur [MSFT]

Kris,

Try this

1. Copy the latest driver from intel.com to c:\drivers\nic
2. In your sysprep.inf have this

oempnpdriverspath=drivers\nic

3. Do not use the pnp switch
4. Don't install the network card driver in the operating system before
running sysprep if possible

Scott McArthur[MS]
Microsoft Windows Server Setup Support