Sysprep ProductKey not working

JeffO

I'm still being prompted for the product key after running
sysprep.
I absolutely know the key is right because I copied and
pasted from the actual text file I have the key stored in.
If I type it in manually during the install, it works.
Since my XP sysprep is just an edited version of my
Win2000 sysprep (which I've used several times and is 100%
functional), I can't understand why these three edits are
being ignored.

Here is the sysprep file:

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386
DistShare=windist

[GuiRunOnce]
Command0="notepad.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\OEMINFO.INI"
Command1="notepad.exe C:\DELL\SYSINFO.DAT"
Command2="C:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc /s"

[unattended]
ExtendOemPartition=1
OemSkipEula=Yes ; doesn't skip EULA (??)
InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

[guiunattended]
TimeZone=10
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
AutoLogon=Yes
AutoLogonCount=1
OEMSkipWelcome=1
OEMSkipRegional=1
OEMDuplicatorstring="10-10-03"

[Display]
BitsPerPel = 16
XResolution = 800
YResolution = 600

[UserData]
ProductKey = xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
; key is ignored and I have to type it in anyway
FullName="Full Name"
OrgName="My Company"
ComputerName=*

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1
Dialing=Tone
AreaCode=303

[Proxy]
Proxy_Enable=0
Use_Same_Proxy=0

[OEM_Ads]
Logo=Banner.bmp

[networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[SysprepMassStorage]
drivers listed here

Mike

Jeff,

I experienced a similar problem when running sysprep from
the folder when it was located somewhere OTHER than the
C:\ root. Once I moved syspre & the folder contents to
C:\sysprep and ran it it was fine.

Mike

JeffO

Way back in the beginning when doing it with Win2000, I
did the same thing. Learned. Got it right and have done
Win2000 syspreps several times.
With XP: same drill. As the sysprep contents show in my
post, sysprep is on C:\ and the i386 folder is inside the
sysprep folder.

Also, there's got to be a way to bypass the annoying
Internet email account setup. And I want to set the
network comment for the PC to always say "New XP PC", but
I have to type it in each time.
[...]

.
.

Scott McArthur [MSFT]

Jeff,

From what you can tell does it do anything that is specified in the
sysprep.inf? If oemskipeula isn't getting processed it seems that it is
not seeing the sysprep.inf at all

Here are the basic steps

1. Copy the contents of deploy.cab to c:\sysprep
2. Create your sysprep.inf using setupmgr.exe and save it to
c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf. Make sure it is not called sysprep.inf.txt
3. Add your productkey entry to your sysprep.inf
4. Double click sysprep.exe in the c:\sysprep folder and click mini and
reseal

Scott McArthur[MS]
Microsoft Windows Server Setup Support
| From: "JeffO" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "JeffO" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Sysprep ProductKey not working
| Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:07:57 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Way back in the beginning when doing it with Win2000, I
| did the same thing. Learned. Got it right and have done
| Win2000 syspreps several times.
| With XP: same drill. As the sysprep contents show in my
| post, sysprep is on C:\ and the i386 folder is inside the
| sysprep folder.
|
| Also, there's got to be a way to bypass the annoying
| Internet email account setup. And I want to set the
| network comment for the PC to always say "New XP PC", but
| I have to type it in each time.

Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Mini-Setup

The only way the inf file is read is if you choose Mini-Setup when you run sysprep, otherwise the only setup options have to be set in the Oobeinfo.inf which is in %windir%\system32\oobe

I have been attempting to find the best of both worlds here for several days without luck.