RunDLL Exception when using Sysprep with XP

Reaction score
Hi,

I have come across the error below when running Sysprep on a Windows XP machine:

a RUNDLL dialog box show up with the contents saying "An exception occured while trying to run "shell32,Control_rundll intl.cpl,,/f:"c:\Windows\System32\$winn$.inf"/s:"C:\sysprep\i386"".

Here are the steps I have followed so far:

- Created an XP Image
- Copied the Sysprep files to C:\Sysprep
- Copied cmdlines.txt to C:\Sysprep\i386
- Ran Sysprep with the -mini - reseal and -reboot boxes checked using the sysprep.inf file below:

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword="********"
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=85

[UserData]
ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
FullName="Name"
OrgName="Name"
ComputerName=*

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386
DistShare=windist

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

When the system is rebooted the error below occurs at the very first Sysprep screen:

a RUNDLL dialog box show up with the contents saying "An exception occured while trying to run "shell32,Control_rundll intl.cpl,,/f:"c:\Windows\System32\$winn$.inf"/s:"C:\sysprep\i386"".

When I click OK Sysprep runs fine and the cmdlines.txt entries all run as expected.

If I remove "InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386" from the sysprep.inf file the error does not occur but the cmdlines.txt commands do not run.

I did try copying the contents of the i386 folder from the WindowsXP CD into C:\Sysprep\i386 but this did not resolve the error!

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

Ask a Question