BF 2142 Spyware?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Take a read of this :eek:

When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.

Now, I can live with certain in-game ads (though apparently there will be Dodge truck and Neon ads in the bleak, futuristic world of 2142), but including a lengthy description - outside of even the Eula - seems to indicate even EA knows that this is some shady borderline spyware ****. I don't support it and won't be buying 2142 (for a host of other reasons, too).

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=13049860

I really wanted to play this game too, but I'm going to have to vote with my feet on this one (or just block it using my firewall).

Attachments

• bf2142.jpg
    bf2142.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 117
Reaction score
OK this does not help you, But at least the games maker is being honest about putting spyware bundled as part of the game, others do it or try to do it with out you knowing. May be it should be mentioned on the packaging though?

This of course does not really effect me as a non-gamer, but i would be peed off if i was, just turn the firewall up a notch!

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That's a shame, i was going to buy this but will probably not bother now....:(

Reaction score
I read this a few days ago. Apparently there is a way around it. Altho a little bit illegal because you have to change one of their .ini files or something.

Not sure of the implications tho. Not even sure if its "illegal", they shouldnt have included spyware should they!!!!

Excuse my language but EA have truely FCUKED up this time sales will not happen!!

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
what i dont like is that there is no warning outside the box to indicate that it does have spyware- i wonder what people think when they read the little message inside... a little too late?

Reaction score
Yes very naughty it should be written on the outside of the box

In fact i'm sure trading standards should be informed about it

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
so correct me if im wrong... so EA collects your IP adress to send u in game ads... when the game takes place 120 years in the future? :D
in any case... dont you think that the game should be cheaper since there are paid for ads in game? I think so, when u look at it, this battlefield is nothing more than a expensive mod :p

Ask a Question