Windows Vista Beware of updates restarting your computer

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Updates in Windows Vista have added another one of those school of hard knocks lessons for sensible computer use.

Sometimes Windows updates require a restart so that files in constant use can be updated. This is normally nothing more than a mild irritation, although this means enough time to go to the shops for a coffee for my computer.

Vista appears to have added a new peril to leaving your computer unattended should you have decided to get a coffee without restarting. Should updates require the computer to be restarted, it will automatically restart five minutes after the warning above appears.

Luckily I wasn't doing anything important (that's Monday morning for you) so I decided to leave a couple of files opened and changed without saving. One was in the audio editor Audacity and the other was in The Gimp image editor. Hopefully, the new, easier to use Vista would prompt me to save my files before restarting.

That was obviously asking too much as a few minutes later the computer restarting without so much as a by your leave. Windows XP would at least stop shutting down because it would not force the shutting down of software for a restart.

The moral of the story is never, ever leave a computer without saving your files first,ever. I really mean it. It's good practice anyway but this is maybe too hard an object lesson.
... Posted by Tim Smith on April 11, 2007

I have always shut down any open programs before a restart ... :D

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ouch, I didn't know that. I've only just found out that my PC is suspended automatically after 20 mins :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
yup, I suggest you go through power management for a Desktop and change it all ... it is pre-set for a bloody laptop.

:rolleyes:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Disabling power management is NOT as simple as XP. ;)

First go to the start menu and click on the Control Panel.

Click on the System and Maintenance link:

vistacontrolpanel%5B1%5D.png

Then click on the Power Options link:

poweroptions%5B1%5D.png

Then select High Performance:

highperf%5B1%5D.png

This will disable the automatic sleep mode, but will still turn off the display.

I suggest you click on Change Plan Settings to disable that as well if you want, but it will also allow you to make other changes.

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks :) I may leave it like this as it will save some power, it just took me by surprise :lol:

(I'll change it on the server though ;))

muckshifter

Reaction score
huh ... run that by me again ??

Save power ?? ... leave it on standby ??

... sorry, I think there is something wrong with that logic. ;)

Un-plug from the wall saves power ... :nod:

:p

This is one of MSs "gimmicks" ... saving power with their "new" power options in Vista ... sorry, I'm dead set against this "logic" ... it actually uses more power on a laptop 'cos the bloody thing don't shut down. :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh no, I don't mean overnight or anything ;) I think I'll have an explore of the power options and see what vista can do!

Ask a Question