Best Processors around at the moment?

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a new Desktop but am not sure what processor to get! On the one hand there is the AMD 64 3500+ or AMD 64 3700 +, how do these compare to each other? the 3500 uses the newer 939-pin chipset but has a lower L2 cache where as the 3700 uses the older 754-pin but has more L2 cache? So how do these compare? which would perform better? The advantages of these I assume are the fact that they are 64 bit also so can take advantage of this in the future....

Then we have the Pentium4 at 3.4 and 3.6 with hyper threading etc. These take advatnage of pci- express that the AMD processors/chipsets don't so they have the advantage there, I think!? However only one of the chipsets supports 64 bit technology, the Intel® 925X Express chipset.

I'm ealyl confused at the moment! Could some kind person explain the advantages of the available options, theres two much to take in with 64 bit, non 64 it, pci, 4.3, 3700 etc! Thanks in advacne!

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
one_one said:
I'm planning on getting a new laptop but am not sure what processor to get! On the one hand there is the AMD 64 3500+ or AMD 64 3700 +, how do these compare to each other? the 3500 uses the newer 939-pin chipset but has a lower L2 cache where as the 3700 uses the older 754-pin but has more L2 cache? So how do these compare? which would perform better? The advantages of these I assume are the fact that they are 64 bit also so can take advantage of this in the future....

Then we have the Pentium4 at 3.4 and 3.6 with hyper threading etc. These take advatnage of pci- express that the AMD processors/chipsets don't so they have the advantage there, I think!? However only one of the chipsets supports 64 bit technology, the Intel® 925X Express chipset.

I'm ealyl confused at the moment! Could some kind person explain the advantages of the available options, theres two much to take in with 64 bit, non 64 it, pci, 4.3, 3700 etc! Thanks in advacne!
An AMD 64 3500+ in a laptop ?!?!? You should be so lucky mate, those processors your on about there are for desktop computers, there would be no way you could put a processor like that in a laptop, because you just couldnt keep it cool! And the battery life of your laptop would be about 20 minutes if you could!

And you say the Pentium 4's take advatage of the PCI Express, which is true, but a laptop doesnt have PCI Express, PCI or AGP slots anyway :/.

I think the best laptop processors out there are the Intel Centrino ones at the moment though.

Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
An AMD 64 3500+ in a laptop ?!?!? You should be so lucky mate, those processors your on about there are for desktop computers, there would be no way you could put a processor like that in a laptop, because you just couldnt keep it cool! And the battery life of your laptop would be about 20 minutes if you could!

And you say the Pentium 4's take advatage of the PCI Express, which is true, but a laptop doesnt have PCI Express, PCI or AGP slots anyway :/.

I think the best laptop processors out there are the Intel Centrino ones at the moment though.
ooo, sorry mate, meant to say Dekstop not laptop! stupid me

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The information is out there ...

AMD don't make a PCI Express chip like Intel can, but VIA does with their K8T890 northbridge and VT8251 southbridge, and, its designed with the AMD 64bit chips in mind. And hey, you don't need new drivers. :eek: :cool:

There is a drawback though ... you can't buy one yet.

Reaction score
dont go PCIX yet - you need DDR2 with the LGA775's... Loose timings mean no faster than S478

When DDR2 gets CL timings of 3 or less, make the move.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
one_one said:
ooo, sorry mate, meant to say Dekstop not laptop! stupid me
Baah, I should of known, my fault for jumping to conclusions!

Seems like you already have a good knowledge of processors though.

At the moment, price/performace and being future proof are in in AMDs favour. I would try and get something with the 939 socket, as there more suited for gaming. I think you need registered memory to use 940, which isnt cheap. the AMD 64 3000+ to 3800+ are all pretty good, so it all depends on how much you want to spend. Just remember to get 939 socket!

I think i would choose AGP over PCI Express at the moment, as the choice of graphics card is much wider. When PCI Express gets in full swing though, cards should be faster as PCI Express is a hell of a lot faster than AGP.

Dont quote me on this, but i think the AMD 64 processors are dual channel memory compatible, so if you can get a nice pair of matching memory sticks (both sam size, speed, make and model) to get more bang for your buck.

Ask a Question