Best free PDF converter

Michael White

On one of my older computer I have Windows 98 and Office 97. What is the
best free PDF converter/creater for such a computer?

I use PDF Creater on my XP computer with Office 2003, but this software does
not seem to work properly on my W98 computer. Perhaps I didn't have it
installed correctly.

Thanks.

Larry

:
: I use PDF Creater on my XP computer with Office 2003, but this
: software does not seem to work properly on my W98 computer. Perhaps I
: didn't have it installed correctly.
:
: Thanks.

This one works very well and is free (no ads). Click on the version 1
link for Win 98
http://www.primopdf.com/

Larry
Australia

Soren Hedeby Sorensen

Michael White said:
On one of my older computer I have Windows 98 and Office 97. What is the
best free PDF converter/creater for such a computer?

I use PDF Creater on my XP computer with Office 2003, but this software does
not seem to work properly on my W98 computer. Perhaps I didn't have it
installed correctly.

CutePDF (or CuteWriter) works fine for me on win98se.

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp

Søren H. Sørensen, Viborg
(slet FJERN fra min e-mail adresse)

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

On one of my older computer I have Windows 98 and Office 97. What is the
best free PDF converter/creater for such a computer?

Version 2.11 of FreePdf works fine on Win9x machines. It is a different
development branch with another version numbering scheme compared to
FreePdfXP. It is freeware for all uses (including commercial).

FreePdf didn't receive updates during the last 2 years. Being stable,
it in fact doesn't really need updating. But, OTOH, it also gets no new
functionality... Get FreePdf 2.11 here:

http://freepdfxp.de/fpx732.htm

The Homepage is German, only. The program itself is multilingual.
Please note, that you need Ghostscript v8.14 (no newer!) to use
FreePdf.

HTH.
BeAr

James UK

Michael White leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before
typing in alt.comp.freeware:
On one of my older computer I have Windows 98 and Office 97. What
is the best free PDF converter/creater for such a computer?

I use PDF Creater on my XP computer with Office 2003, but this
software does not seem to work properly on my W98 computer.
Perhaps I didn't have it installed correctly.

Thanks.

PDFCreator works well for me;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

and for a Command-line tool, have a look at Pdftk;

http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

HTH

James UK

Michael White leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before
typing in alt.comp.freeware:
Thanks.

Which version of PDFCreator do you have?

Hi,

0.9.1, running on XP.

HTH

Kathi

PDFCreator works fine but remember it uses an extremely dumb (ie rude)
installer that doesn't even ask where to put the program. I don't know
anyone who installs into "Program Files" anymore (due to all the crap in
that directory, organized, by all things, by brand name instead of by
program functionality).

So beware, use PDFCreator ONLY if you don't care to organize your WinXP PC
such that programs go where they belong in an organized manner instead of
all jumbled up in a silly Program Files directory. Luckily, the source code
is provided so the bold and brave can modify the installation to add the
common courtesy to ask where you want it installed.

Also bear in mind the AFPL installation is better than the GPL (for most
people). Since the installer is so rude, I'd recommend passing by this
program in favor of a better written one.

YMMV ..... Good luck!
Kathi

Kathi

Bear in mind, while FreePDF XP works just fine, it uses a dumb and rude
installer which doesn't ask where you wish to place your files.

If you don't mind programs splattered all over the place virtually
unorganized by any one fashion in your Program Files directory, then this
progrma may be for you but it's not for anyone who desires an organized
file system.

Also bear in mind that GhosScript 8.53 is also available on this web site.
Luckily at least this GhostScript installer is courteous enough to ask
where you wish to install the software.

Due to the rude installer, I would not recommend FreePDF as there are
plenty of PDF creators out there that are not rude from the start.

YMMV, Good luck!
Kathi

Kathi

CutePDF (or CuteWriter) works fine for me on win98se.
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp

CutePDF works fine but bear in mind that the CutePDF installer is both rude
and dumb in that it does not offer the common courtesy to simply ask you
WHERE you wish to install the program.

For some people, having all their program files jumbled up in the Program
Files directory sorted by God knows how is just fine but not for me.

Bear in mind also, that for CutePDF to work, GhostScript is also needed for
a PS2PDF program that cutePDF Writer requires. If you already have
Ghostscript installed, you don't need that here. Otherwise, you MUST
install at least GhostScript_Lite in order to get PS2PDF.

YMMV, Good luck!
Kathi

Kathi

This one works very well and is free (no ads).
http://www.primopdf.com

Bear in mind that while PrimoPDF doens't rudely install into your Program
Files directory, the GUI on PrimoPDF is forgetful in that it doesn't ever
remember your settings.

For example, if you prefer print quality, you have to select that radial
EVERY single time you print.

It would be nice if PrimoPDF, which is my preferred freeware PDF creator
due to the lack of rudeness in the installation process, would just
remember the prior settings.

YMMV, Good luck!
Kathi

B. Otsing

PDFCreator works fine but remember it uses an extremely dumb (ie rude)
installer that doesn't even ask where to put the program. I don't know
anyone who installs into "Program Files" anymore (due to all the crap in
that directory, organized, by all things, by brand name instead of by
program functionality).

not true

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Bear in mind, while FreePDF XP works just fine, it uses a dumb and rude
installer which doesn't ask where you wish to place your files.

You can manually extract all files using the /t and /c switch and after
that install the program anywhere you like. To manually setup the virtual
printer follow the instructions from help file.
Also bear in mind that GhosScript 8.53 is also available on this web site.

Since we're talking about FreePdf 2.11 on Win9x systems, no newer version
than GhostScript 8.14 should be used!
Due to the rude installer, I would not recommend FreePDF as there are
plenty of PDF creators out there that are not rude from the start.

It is not *that* plenty, especially if you need free usage in business.

BeAr

FUp2acf set.

Kathi

What is the best free PDF converter/creater for ... [Windows]?

Based on this thread, here are the freeware Windows PDF creators:

0. Adobe Acrobat will create PDF but it's not freeware.
1. PrimoPDF freeware http://www.primopdf.com works well.
2. CutePDF freeware http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp
3. FreePDF (with GhostScript) is free http://freepdfxp.de/fpx732.htm
4. PDFCreator http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator
5. Pdftk command line tool http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk
6. ???

Did we miss any Windows freeware PDF creators?

Kathi

Susan Bugher

Kathi said:
What is the best free PDF converter/creater for ... [Windows]?

Based on this thread, here are the freeware Windows PDF creators:

0. Adobe Acrobat will create PDF but it's not freeware.
1. PrimoPDF freeware http://www.primopdf.com works well.
2. CutePDF freeware http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp
3. FreePDF (with GhostScript) is free http://freepdfxp.de/fpx732.htm
4. PDFCreator http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator
5. Pdftk command line tool http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk
6. ???

Did we miss any Windows freeware PDF creators?

Yup. :) The ACF pages list *some* of the apps that have been mentioned:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#2.02ConvertTextToPDF

PDF2TXT
XPDF
AcroPAD
AcroPDF (v 1)
CutePDF Writer (was CutePDF Printer)
FreeDist
FreePDF and FreePDF XP
GhostScript
Ghostscript (Aladdin Ghostscript) (v 6.01)
GhostScript and GSView (GhostView)
Go2PDF
Gymnast
MakePDF
PDF4Free
Pdf995
PDFCreator
PdfEdit995
PDFproducer
PrimoPDF
Redmon
Tomahawk PDF+ (v 2.7.2 )
UltraPDF
extendedPDF

Also see:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#5.01PDFBookmarks
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#5.01PDFTool
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#5.01PDFViewer

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Based on this thread, here are the freeware Windows PDF creators: [Snip]
Did we miss any Windows freeware PDF creators?

This thread was specially targeted to Win9x based *.pdf creation. For
Win2k I suggest FreePdfXP.

A comprehensive site on Pdf can be found here:

www.tu-chemnitz.de/urz/pdf/pdfutils.html

Although German, the information should be easy to understand. Most
of the page consists of links.

Btw.: Pdftk is not a *.pdf creator but a reformatter.

BeAr

Susan Bugher

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
A comprehensive site on Pdf can be found here:

www.tu-chemnitz.de/urz/pdf/pdfutils.html

Great resource page. :)
Although German, the information should be easy to understand.

erm. . . been there lately? It was remarkably easy to understand. . .
as the "German" text is remarkably similar to English. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

erm. . . been there lately? It was remarkably easy to understand. . .
as the "German" text is remarkably similar to English. ;)

LOL. You have a *very* good point! ;-)

BeAr

Don K

Kathi said:
What is the best free PDF converter/creater for ... [Windows]?

Based on this thread, here are the freeware Windows PDF creators:

0. Adobe Acrobat will create PDF but it's not freeware.
1. PrimoPDF freeware http://www.primopdf.com works well.
2. CutePDF freeware http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp
3. FreePDF (with GhostScript) is free http://freepdfxp.de/fpx732.htm
4. PDFCreator http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator
5. Pdftk command line tool http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk
6. ???

Did we miss any Windows freeware PDF creators?

Kathi

Yes.
Pdf995 and PdfEdit995 at http://www.pdf995.com/

Don