Best Buy employee suspended over iPhone vs. EVO video

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just lol at this story.. :D

Brian Maupin, a Best Buy employee since 2007, was suspended recently for creating two iPhone vs HTC Evo videos and posting them on YouTube. Brian was asked to quit. He refused, and has been put on suspension while Best Buy decides his fate. He expects to be fired on Monday.

Brian told TechCrunch, "They felt it disparaged a brand they carried (iPhone/Apple) as well as the store itself and were fearful of stockholders & customers being turned off to Best Buy Mobile." In his defense, Brian issued a statement to Best Buy's human resources department that said, "I issued a statement to them explaining that the video was intended to be comedic and hence, not taken seriously by them or all these stockholders & customers they are worried about [being] turned off to buying from them due to the video."

The videos, which make no mention of Best Buy, have now had over 3 million views thanks to the recent news. Best Buy had asked Brian to take the videos down but he refused. There were some videos that he had uploaded that referenced Best Buy that they requested he take down and he complied. Brian is optimistic about all that has happened and says, "I see it all as a blessing in disguise. I’ve wanted to start my career in graphic design/animation for so long, I see this as my kick in the pants to go get it."

Source...
http://www.neowin.net/news/best-buy-employee-suspended-over-iphone-vs-evo-video

Reaction score
Yes funny however if you are easily offended don't watch.

Lots and lots of language in it

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I’ve wanted to start my career in graphic design/animation for so long, I see this as my kick in the pants to go get it."

Think he's gonna have to try a little harder than that! lol

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
3 million views. I wander of those 3 million how many are now customers of Best Buy ? They would soon change their minds about suspending/firing him if they were to start profiting from his videos.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What Crazylegs said :D

The cartoon characters speak truth but the presentations are as dull as dishwater, go on for too long and use the Donald Duck word way too much to have any shock or humour impact.

IMO :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anybody is aware, but you probably all are. The graphics in these clips aren't actually made buy the Bestbuy employee, but are made through an online application at Xtra normal They are pretty basic graphics, but fun can be had. I agree with you Floppybootstomp, far to much use of Donald duck, and they do go on a bit long. The first clip stopped been funny halfway through, and the second clip wasn't funny because you had seen the first. :)

Reaction score
What`s the reason for all the swearing.It`s not clever.

I turned it off when the swearing started.
historian

Ask a Question