Best AMD cooler for quiet?

Reaction score
The last bit I need for my silent PC is a CPU cooler.

I'm not goin water cooling as I have only 1 fan outlet on my case so what is the best quiet CPU cooler;

So far I've seen the Thermaltake Big Typhoon which looks a tad too big, the Coolermaster Hyper48 which is SUPER heavy, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro where they are worried the rubber fan mounts will go hard and break and the Thermaltake 9500 which is £40! (you can get a watercooler for that).

At the mo out of those 3 I'm looking at the Arctic (cos its the cheapest!), any others that people have seen that are quieter and better?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you might want to look at the Zalman CNPS7700-CU, its quite big because it has a 120mm fan but they do the CNPS7000B-CU which has a 92mm fan

Reaction score
OK heres a question for you all:

Ive been looking at the Asetek VapoChill Micro, and the price difference between the High End and Ultra Low Noise is over £10, is it just because the Low end comes with a quieter fan and fan controller, or is there any significant difference in the actual heatpipe coolers?

If not I could just get the cheapest noisyest one and fit the AcoustiFan DustPROOF Fan 92mm that I already have to the High End cooler and it would be as quiet if not quieter than the Ultra Low Noise one.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Best coolers are Thermalright SI-120 & XP120, both of which take a 120mm fan. Get a low noise fan and you'll have quiet.

Similarly, the XP-90C & XP-90 are both good and take a 92mm fan.

The Zalman CNPS7700 is also very good and very quiet and comes with integral 120mm fan.

Also worth considering is the Gigabyte G-Power Pro, again with integral fan and speed control.

You asked for the best cooler that was quiet, in my opinion the Thermalright are best and are probably equalled by the Zalman, it's the choice of fan with a Thermalright cooler that will make the difference.

I'm afraid you only get what you pay for, none of the above coolers are less than £30.00, but they're all good.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
VR: I was going to recommend the Gigabyte 3D Pro, but I don't think it's made anymore, the G-Power Pro seems to have replaced it, though I'm not entirely sure.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah they is getting rare, but i've seen them around. I think your right the G Power is the new thing now. :)
I found some in Froogle

Reaction score
Thanks but the none of the Gigabyte coolers go below 20db even my old Arctic Cooler is quieter than that, plus I HATE Led coolers, so last year :D

Reaction score
Ive never seen a Gigabyte cooler go below 20db, I want something as close to 10db, I know I can get 1200cfm 120 or 92mm fans that are lower than 10db, its just finding a cooler simular to that.

I'm not into overclocking my PC as its pretty much running 24-7 so stabilty and silence is more important than super overclock speed. Most of the software I use relys more on RAM or GPU than CPU anyway, I just want this PC silent so I can have it run in the living room and not bother me.

Reaction score
2510.jpg
AcoustiFan DustPROOF Fan 92mm
2510 A NEW range of premium quality, ultra-quiet dust-tolerant multi-application cooling fans for PCs. These fans have been designed to be quiet and stay quiet! They also come with a 3-speed fan cable accessory providing a choice of 3 speeds & 4-pin connectivity. No harmful dust ingress means that dust stays out of the motor, bearings and fan circuitry to help keep the fan quiet, cool and prolong it's lifetime.

Product Highlights

* Ultra-quiet operation
* Premium build quality (you need to feel the quality of these fans!)
* Triple speed (using the '3-speed' fan cable accessory)
* Sealed fan motor for dust-free operation & reduced noise
* Multiple application (can be used for CPU/GPU or case cooling)
* RPM-monitoring enabled
* Reliable with a long life expectancy (over 6yrs @ 25°C!)
* Start at lower voltages for near silent operation (min. 5VDC)
* Unique rear 'acoustic' badge for added noise reduction
* 3-pin & 4-pin compatible (with 3-speed fan accessory cable)

DustPROOF Series Technical Specifications

Acoustiproducts are committed to publishing accurate and truthful noise level data - taken directly from acoustic testing reports to recognised International Test Standards. At 1m distance in the average home/office environment noise levels below 10dBA will be difficult to discern above normal background noise levels.

Fan Dimensions mm 92x92x25
Connector Type 3-pin (from m'board), OR 4-pin (from PSU)
using 3-Speed Fan Cable
Included Accessories - 3-Speed Fan Cable, 4 x Tie Wraps & 4 x Screws
Life Expectancy (at 25°C) - 60,000hrs (6.85yrs)

(Airflow / Noise Level / Rotation speed)

Full speed 12V DC = 28cfm / 22dBA / 1600rpm
Medium speed 7.5V DC = 17.4cfm / <10dBA / 950rpm
Low speed 5V DC = 10.1cfm / <10dBA / 550rpm
From KustomPCs

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
spiderIPC said:
Ive never seen a Gigabyte cooler go below 20db, I want something as close to 10db,

And how are we making these measurements? turn the Gigabyte 3D Pro fan down to minimum and it's barely audible. And it still cools well. Must confess I'm not over keen on the blue led's, this year, last year or next year, but they not too bad.

I know I can get 1200cfm 120 or 92mm fans that are lower than 10db, its just finding a cooler simular to that.

If you know you can find a 120mm fan lower than 10db, please share your source with us. And if you know of one, why you asking us?

And what do you mean 'find a cooler similar to that?' Are you allergic to fitting your own fan to a heatsink or something?

I'm not into overclocking my PC as its pretty much running 24-7 so stabilty and silence is more important than super overclock speed. Most of the software I use relys more on RAM or GPU than CPU anyway, I just want this PC silent so I can have it run in the living room and not bother me.

If you say so but please do bear in mind that like most things, a computer is only as good as it's weakest link. And who mentioned overclocking? It's not mandatory to tear the ass outta your CPU you know ;)

You want good, you want quiet, get a Thermalright or Zalman, no flashy led's just good honest, quiet cooling. But for those you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket, aren't you? ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just seen your post above, with the fan.

Slap one of those on a Thermalright and you're sorted :)

And just as an observation, I think Kustom PC's are possibly the best computer parts supplier in the UK, just a shame they more expensive than most.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I got rockinghorse **** here ... not for sale

Use an Intel 486 DX50 CPU ... no HSF required = no db

:rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You on the Jamesons again? :D ;)
Nup ... London Gin ... no hangover, less sugar, with lemon lime & ice. :D

:thumb:

What's the matter with the stock coolers ... I have to stick my fingers in the way to see if they are running ... may need a new hearing aid though.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, like I've mentioned before the stock coolers with Sckt 939 CPU's actually do a very good job.

But they are noisier than a good 92mm or 120mm fan.

Reaction score
You want good, you want quiet, get a Thermalright or Zalman, no flashy led's just good honest, quiet cooling. But for those you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket, aren't you?
wink.gif

Yea the Thermalright and Zalman are good, but Ive seen the common problem with Zalman 7700 of it not fitting due to large caps and RAM so its a risk buy. The Thermalright has always been a beauty, but then the price isnt LOL.

And what do you mean 'find a cooler similar to that?' Are you allergic to fitting your own fan to a heatsink or something?

No it just some coolers, like Zalman or Gigatec come with fans built in so you cant change them.
Oh and its gonna be going on a 939 mobo by the way (they always seem to get better coolers for Intel, even the stock ones are good, unlike AMD).

And how are we making these measurements? turn the Gigabyte 3D Pro fan down to minimum and it's barely audible.

Yea but at lowest setting the Gigabyte Pro does **** all cooling (at least 50+ whereas ones like the Thermaltake and Zalman are getting down near 30), you might as well just open the case and blow on the CPU yourself. The Gigabyte Pro is an overclockers cooler with all those lights (I should know, I had a window'd case with a Thermatake Volcano 7 running witht the Red/Blue flashing light attachment, jesus what a geek I was in those days, I dont ware cords anymore thank god :D)

There is one thing im looking into thats a bit confusin, the Asetec Vapochill Micro.

Right, you can buy a super noisey one for £22, then an middle of the road one for £28, and a super quiet one for £35. Is it just that the price is higher 'cos they come with better quieter fans and a fan control unit on the Ultra Quiet (why they hell do they put them round the back? pain in the arse to get on the floor, go round the back of your PC just to twist a knob) or are the actual gas coolers themselves different for each price? If not I could just get the £22 one and put a silent fan on it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
SpiderIPC, you're talking bulls**t.

The Gigabyte 3D Pro, at low revs, performs almost as well as at full revs.

I know, I'm using two, it raise about 2C, is all.

I've used a helluva lotta coolers as well, and yes, I have an opinion/informed view, on most.

Frankly mate, you are really p*****g me off, if you know so damned much, make your own choice, why ask us?

Happy New Year :)

Ask a Question