Bent coppers.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"The day will come, Abarb, and probably sooner than you think cos you is a similar age to me, where we can't even defend ourselves cos we is too old."

You seem to have a very limited understanding of "defence" hardly suprising as you are probably viewing it from the very narrow western outlook.
I played at the Chinese art of Tai Chi for some time and am confident that even at the age of 56 and with a disabled body I am perfectly capable of good self defence and will continue to retain that capability as long as my mind and body are fuctioning.

"Not yet but one day that is not too far away that will happen."

You are right. I'd be hard pressed to defend myself when they screw down the coffin lid.

:p

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
This sort of thing should be questioned but not put over the top. This guy is a drunken idiot by all accounts so tough luck, chinning anyone is bad so he got an eye for an eye ...A slap across the face will do nowt to his mind set nor will a poxy fine or a short spell in some cushy jail...But a few jolts from a Tazer wont want to be had again unless his name is C.Kent. I have a few friends who are bobbies and i wouldn`t do their job and like Flops says they are human.
Could go on all day here about society and whatelse but won`t .

Hope he thinks Tazer next time he raises his fist :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
You seem to have a very limited understanding of "defence" hardly suprising as you are probably viewing it from the very narrow western outlook.
I played at the Chinese art of Tai Chi for some time and am confident that even at the age of 56 and with a disabled body I am perfectly capable of good self defence and will continue to retain that capability as long as my mind and body are fuctioning.

Well I admire your confidence and I hope that's true, for your sake. Sincerely.

Perhaps I do view things with a very narrow western outlook, probably because I'm a westerner ;)

I studied Martial Arts for a short period - about six months - when I was 24 years old, two evening sessions a week of three hours each and some weekend afternoon sessions. It was some obscure type of Karate. I wasn't even allowed to throw a punch for the first month - just solid very hard excercise.

I've never been so fit in all my life (apart from working on pipelines I suppose) but it didn't make me any more confident about having a ruck.

And nowt personal but I'm always wary of any male who claims he can fight well. I've seen too many braggarts go down at the first blow, which can actually be quite amusing.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And nowt personal but I'm always wary of any male who claims he can fight well. I've seen too many braggarts go down at the first blow, which can actually be quite amusing.

Agree on that one. 18 years of Mauy Thai/kick boxing and door work under my belt and been 6'3" and I am still scared of the smallest bloke to the biggest bloke. You don't need to be 7 foot tall and bulit like a brick sh*thouse to knock somebody down .Size does not matter. Its how you use that size.

Edit: Woman need not reply....:p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Never ever claimed to be a "good fighter" said I have excellent defensive skills.

I belive in standing up for what I belive in. If that means I have to defend myself then so be it.

" Better to die as free man than live a thousand years as a slave"

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Never ever claimed to be a "good fighter" said I have excellent defensive skills.

Maybe I'm coming at this from that old narrow-minded Westerner's approach again but please tell me what's the difference?

If a person's defending themself then surely they are involved in a fight, albeit only one sided if the person in question is only adapting a defensive stance.

If the argument is that a person is not fighting because they were not the agressor in the conflict, I believe that's not an argument as it's still a fight, invited or not.

To claim one is good at defensive skills is the same as bragging one is a good fighter and I fail to see the difference.

Abarbarian said:
I belive in standing up for what I belive in. If that means I have to defend myself then so be it.

" Better to die as free man than live a thousand years as a slave"

:D

Well so do I, of course I do. In fact I think you'll find it's a very common male trait.

But for the sake of argument let's go back 2K5 years and imagine yourself a slave. You could invite agression and die by the sword or you could bide your time and note that other truth 'Where there's life there's hope'.

You can twist just about anything with well placed quotes ;)

Ask a Question